The Libertarian party...

JoshK

I was reading their website. While most of their thinking is simplistic and unrealistic, I like their views on some other things: freedom of speech, sexual rights, and the war on drugs. I wish one of the major parties (well, it would be the Ds, never the Rs) would realize what a failure the "war on drugs" is... rolleyes.gif

some of the shit is just plain funny:

"the repeal of anti-racketeering statutes such as the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO), which punish peaceful behavior -- including insider trading in securities, sale of sexually explicit material, and nonviolent anti-abortion protests -- by freezing and/or seizing assets of the accused or convicted; and"

Yeah, insider trading shouldn't be illegal at all! hahaha.gifrolleyes.gif

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Libertarians are interesting because the defy the common wisdom of a scale that runs from Liberal to Conservative that everyone fits on somewhere. They're all over the map, and as such are a genuinely different party, not at all a fringe offshoot of either of the major parties.

RICO doesn't make insider trading illegal, Section 16 of the 34 Act does. RICO was intended to go after assets of the mob. Due to overbroad drafting it in fact has been used as a bludgeon for prosecuters and plaintiffs lawyers in a bunch of areas it was not intended to be used (see insider trading, anti-abortion groups, etc.). Their point is that RICO should be reformed.

Though I do challenge you to explain how you are (or anyone else is) harmed by insider trading.

"Simplistic and unrealistic" pretty much describes the platforms of the Ds and the Rs too. It's just a bunch of hullabaloo to rile up the true believers.

I am guessing the idea behind the repeal of RICO is to free up the clogged prisons from non-violent offenders.

Put 'em back on Wall Street hahaha.gif, and behind the camera, right? rolleyes.gif

I must presume that other non-violent crimes are also being considered for repeal ( I didn't go to the website), and not just the racketeers.

I am all for drug possession charges being commuted to community service. thumbs_up.gif

Maybe I didn't explain that very well. RICO doesn't make stuff illegal. RICO provides for enhanced civil penalties and asset forfeiture for stuff that's already illegal if you do it in a "conspiracy." The argument for its repeal is that is applied abusively and arbitrarily and primarilly in cases for which it was never intended to be used.

I don't beleive it has anything to jail time.

Don't confuse the Libertarian party with a libertarian philosophy. I consider myself a libertarian because I believe an individual's freedoms and rights are one of the basic parts of the foundation of this country, and that as long as I am not infringing on someone else's rights in exercising my freedoms, the government should keep its nose out of it. That puts me at odds with both political parties for the most part. I also put myself as pretty moderate, considering I am more conservative than most liberals I know, and more liberal than most conservatives I know, but your mileage may vary. I don't know much about the Libertarian Party because I'm not a big fan of political parties in general, and third parties are pretty ineffectual in today's political climate, other than as spoliers.

Though I do challenge you to explain how you are (or anyone else is) harmed by insider trading.

You're kidding me, right? It's pretty easy. I buy 100 shares of company X. CEO of company X knows they are fucked. He begins selling off but publicly says that there is no problem and confidence is high. Once he is mostly divested, the news breaks. CEO gets out fine, me and other shareholders are fucked.

Lemme think...you'd have to post some link to a repub party platform link because I am sure there is something in there I agree with...here are the major ones I can think of:

taxation: I don't believe in giving the rich a break and shoving a stick up the ass of the middle and lower classes.

gay marriage: quit worrying about impinging on gay rights, you homophobic assholes

abortion: it's the woman's choice, not some stody 70 year old repbulican's

campaign finance: I believe in big changes here. Most of them (mcacin notably) dont since big business contributes heavily and it's always been easier for the Rs to raise money than the Ds

gun control: this has been discussed enough

environment: I choose to believe 95% of the scientific community over the republican propoganda machine. I believe we also need to lead global climate change not claim we'll change when the 3rd world does.

foreign policy: i believe alienating our allies is idiotic

church n' state: i think the constituion is pretty clearly on this. no school prayer, no faith based crap, thank you

death penalty: no state sponsered killing in a civilized society, thank you.

corporate/political coziness: this has more to do with our corrput administration, not a republican party platform.

I'm sure there are more...

Ahh...I did think of a thing I agree with...China policy. I say fuck being nice to them. Get hardcore on them and make it clear that they need to straighten their act out.

Our north korea policy is screwed tho. Clinton made some decent progress and shrub threw it out the window.

Ahh...I did think of a thing I agree with...China policy. I say fuck being nice to them. Get hardcore on them and make it clear that they need to straighten their act out.

Our north korea policy is screwed tho. Clinton made some decent progress and shrub threw it out the window.

That is one dragon I don't wanna see woken.

China or north korea? IMHO, china is going to be a *much* bigger problem for us going forward.

Ahh...there is another thing I agree with, though it's certainly not something all democrats are against...military buildup. We need to maintain the most powerful military in the world by a BBIIIGG margin. China has manpower, and we need to make it clear that should they start shit we will quickly do our part to fix the world's population problem.

You're kidding me, right? It's pretty easy. I buy 100 shares of company X. CEO of company X knows they are fucked. He begins selling off but publicly says that there is no problem and confidence is high.

The CEO selling his stock does not in itself do anything to harm you. Proponents of making insider trading legal believe, as do I, that requiring immediate disclosure of trading by insiders would be adequate. If you know that insiders are selling massive positions while simultaneously touting the company's prospects, one can question whether they are truthful. It could be argued that by watching insider trading, you get a better signal about the company's prospects than you do currently.

China or north korea? IMHO, china is going to be a *much* bigger problem for us going forward.

Seems to be the consensus of the U.S. intel community as well. I was recently representing my company at a job fair, and got to talking about old times and people with some guys from the DIA (Defense Intelligence Agency). They were pretty frank in stating that the agencies are all hyper-aggressively looking for Chinese speakers. I made some crack about Korean, and they were kind of like "we're not even worried about that..."

The north koreans are dirt poor and frankly don't employee too many intelligent folks as far as I can tell. The chinese, on the other hand, are growing rapidly, have great power dreams and will do whatever it takes to get there. It's obvious they aren't going to grow, get big, and become a peaceful democracy at this point so I am all for eliminating the problem before it starts.

I wonder if we have the knowledge of the extent of their nuclear facilities. I'm not so sure a premptive strike to destroy all of their non-conventional capabilities wouldn't be bad idea. Of course, that kind of goes against my thoughts on not isolating the international community smile.gif

The north koreans are dirt poor and frankly don't employee too many intelligent folks as far as I can tell. The chinese, on the other hand, are growing rapidly, have great power dreams and will do whatever it takes to get there. It's obvious they aren't going to grow, get big, and become a peaceful democracy at this point so I am all for eliminating the problem before it starts.

I wonder if we have the knowledge of the extent of their nuclear facilities. I'm not so sure a premptive strike to destroy all of their non-conventional capabilities wouldn't be bad idea. Of course, that kind of goes against my thoughts on not isolating the international community smile.gif

Yeah, sphincter boy, all North Koreans are stupid.

rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif