Colchuck backcountry permit, or no?

michaeljosephnozel

Have tentative plans to try Colchuck Balanced Rock on Sunday. If we hike in early, do the climb, hike out that night (without a camp), do we need an Alpine Lakes Wilderness permit? My understanding is that we do not, as long as we do not camp.

Also, does anyone have current information on snow conditions (or lack thereof) on approach, route, descent? Your input would be most appreciated, as we are hoping to hoof-it in in tennis shoes, and carry light axes, leaving the boots and crampons at home. Thanks!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Permits are required for overnight beginning 6/15 so you are just under the wire. After 6/15 all you need for a day trip is a permit at the trailhead. And as most alpine climbers know, the definition of a "day" gives some latitude in this regard!

Some recent threads have discussed trail conditions. I'll bet it is pretty snow free to the lake and then you'll have some snow. Have fun. wave.gif

Hey, Matt Anderson, did you need crampons/boots, or were sneakers and a light axe sufficient? We are obviously trying to lighten our loads, and minimize the deadweight we hump up the rock pitches. We do not want to leave behind the crampons, however, if they will be necessary.

After your descent (I assume down the south side), did you continue down the Colchuck Glacier, or traverse around to Aasgard?