Climbers Dining Out in the PNW

Dru

So as a side track from the Good Food discussion... where are some good restaurants to eat at on climbing trips? And where are some greasy maggot-ridden health risks to AVOID?

Here are some suggestions:

On the way to Lillooet or wherever: Home Restaurant (Hope); Dee's Riverside aka More Than donuts (Hope); Canyon Alpine (north of Boston Bar in Fraser Canyon); North Bend Cafe on the railroad tracks across the bridge from Boston Bar.

Chilliwack area: Gabacho's Cantina in Chilliwack (north of the Highway); Major League II (sports bar with cheap food near the Canadian Tiore south of the highway on the way to/from Chilliwack Valley); Wildcat Grill in Popkum is good afters on the way back from Chehalis/Old Settler/Hope area

Squamish: Shakespeares for pies; Brew Pub (food OK, beer OK but where all the climbers go...): Shady Tree Pub has better food but has smokers; Toasters' in the Super 8 motel, is the best place for breakfast.

Pemberton: Pony Espresso - coffee breakfast lunch. Wicked Wheel in Mt Currie for dinner.

Whistler - avoid stopping here unless you are looking to meet Australians with STDs. However if you have to there are many overpriced places with good food and beer. just walk around the village.

Smith - The Original Burger works in Madras is yummy.

Leavenworth - the mexi place on the second floor of a building has been good in the past. also Gustavs of course.

Oregon - the Original Pancake House. Once left Red Rocks at 4 AM specifically to arrive in PLand in time for the OPH opening.

AVOID THESE PLACES: Charles Hotel and Green Canyon Motor Inn in Boston Bar; The Jolly Miller Pub in Sardis; Totem Hotel buffet in Lillooet; Klahanie Inn in Squamish; Mountain Burger House in Squamish; Pemberton Hotel in Pemberton.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Mexi place in Terrebonne is awesome. icon14.gif

The Golden Harvest in Vantage rules icon14.gif

Alberto's on Charleston (Red Rocks) was fantastic one time, meza meza another.

Index Cafe used to have great pancakes. I heard it changed hands though.

That 24 hour diner in Cle Elum is terrible. We ate there after a marathon day on Stuart and still hated it!

[ 07-15-2002, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: chucK ]

drul-

gustavs is beat.....who wants to han gout with tourons and tupperware floaters.....

i will not reveal the location of the ktk approved site.

i do not care usally where or what i eat...you cannot screw up a cheeseburget too bad...all i need are milkshakes anyways.....

scale burger in elbe used to be good, but since i have lots my rainier fantasy(*yawn*) i do not go down there...very far from granite!

also free food and food yu can glean from friends houses to and from the crag is great too!! safeway anyone??

food is food and i consume alot of it.....

erik

How come I don't see McDonald's in any of these lists? It's not just fat, ugly people who eat there, you know. Skinny, ugly climbers eat there too.

I would say that Mama Villone's in Cle Elum has great food but it's a restaurant not a cafe.

By the way, Wenatchee has NO RESTAURANTS. It's 100 percent fast food joints. Terrible. Okay, well maybe there are a few restaurants but I couldn't find them.

The Rusty Burger in Cashmere if you're passing through (heading east on hwy 2, take a left at the light.)

Uncle Uli's in L-worth is good and slightly cheaper than Gustav's.

Zeke's Drive-in between Gold Bar and Index, spendy but good.

Slightly out of state is the Crook County Saloon outside of Devils Tower; killer steaks.

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

AVOID THESE PLACES: Charles Hotel and Green Canyon Motor Inn in Boston Bar; The Jolly Miller Pub in Sardis; Totem Hotel buffet in Lillooet; Klahanie Inn in Squamish; Mountain Burger House in Squamish; Pemberton Hotel in Pemberton.

Mountain Burger rules. Old school Squamish not a trendy place

quote:

Originally posted by AlpineK:

quote:

Mountain Burger rules. Old school Squamish not a trendy place

PineyK the MBH has seriously declined over the last couple of years. Now it is like you are getting a large helping of cigarette ash served in every meal. I mean I have been going there for like 25 years (used to get icecream there when I was a little kid) and it is seriously the worst its ever been.

The only reason to avoid the Klahanie, tho, is cause it is a spendy tourist trap. The food is Ok.

If you want real old school Squamish the best place is actually the 99'er in Brittania Beach.

I recall some little burger stand up by Robson. I think it was Mountain Burger. Famished, we all ordered the specialty of the house, the "Mountain Burger" and got half way through before we realized it didn't quite taste right. When closely questioned, the proprietor had to admit that it was some kind of soy product, which he tried to justify by adding "I think it makes a better burger, don't you?" Do they have to list the ingredients on things in Canada yet? I always liked those coffee creamers that just said "an edible oil product" that we would build into tall pyramids on long rainy afternoons in Banff...

quote:

Originally posted by Off White:

I recall some little burger stand up by Robson. I think it was Mountain Burger. Famished, we all ordered the specialty of the house, the "Mountain Burger" and got half way through before we realized it didn't quite taste right. When closely questioned, the proprietor had to admit that it was some kind of soy product, which he tried to justify by adding "I think it makes a better burger, don't you?" Do they have to list the ingredients on things in Canada yet? I always liked those coffee creamers that just said "an edible oil product" that we would build into tall pyramids on long rainy afternoons in Banff...

The ingredients have always been listed in BOTH ENGLISH AND FRENCH, just not the %DV of fat etc.

But you know something... in Canada the only vegetables and fruit in the grocery store that are waxed are the American imprts? How come 60% of Americans are obese?Must be all that wax they eat on everything! [hell no]

quote:

[/qb]

The ingredients have always been listed in BOTH ENGLISH AND FRENCH[/QB]

Well, not always Dru, you forget that I am old enough to remember when your grandma was a sexy young thing. The english and french is a bonus though, just the thing to pass the time reading mac 'n cheese boxes in the dripping tent.

If you find out whats up with that wax thing though, let me know. I think they use different waxes depending on the temperature... [Razz] Would that we all could be as svelte as our northern neighbors.

quote:

in redmond (not far from smith rock) there's a steak place with peanut shells all over the floor. it looks redneck (and maybe it is), but the steak and potatoes rock!

Sounds like the Roadhouse Grill. They also make KICKASS yeast rolls!

Best breakfast in Central Oregon: The Ski Inn in Sisters.

Best Breakfast in the FRIGGIN WORLD: Gramma Stewart's in Cleveland, Tennessee

Best Brew Pub to go to when the Deschutes Brewery is FRIGGIN PACKED: Bend Brewery (if you know of any place better, let me know)

Best place to eat in Portland when you don't want to have to drive around trying to find a parking place: the Chili's in Wilsonville

Best place to eat after a day of climbing (or hiking in the rain) at the Callahan's: Pedotti's Italian restaurant in Sutherlin, Oregon

Best Buffalo burgers: The Buffalo Grill on Warehouse road in Oak Ridge, Tennessee

Best Donuts: Cal's Donuts in Eugene

[big Drink][chubit][big Drink][chubit][big Drink][chubit][big Drink][chubit]

The Good:

Mt Baker/Shuksan

(Bellingham, Wa) Bob's Burgers

(Glacier, Wa) Milano's (italian)

Mt Hood (Sandy, Or) Calamity Janes (burgers)

The Bad:

Mt Hood (Gov't Camp) Huckleberry Inn

Greasy food, ignorate service

The Ugly:

My kitchen, Good food, homemade beer, terrible service

On Mt Baker Hwy, the other Italian restuarant, with the good pizza, is more west of Glacier, near Demming.

The bad, do not, I repeat do not eat at the drive-in burgerstand in Concrete . Buffalo Run and the Ice Cream caboose in Marblemount are better options. [chubit]

Most climbers know not to even stop in Concrete, that gawd awful speed-trap. They'll bust your ass for going 5 over!

In fact, knowing climbers coming from the Seattle area take the Darrington cut-off. It's faster AND it avoids Concrete.

I generally prefer to drive to the North Cascades via Burlington because although it is 20 miles longer, I believe it is frequently faster that way because the added distance is on I-5 and there are more opportunities to pass slow drivers on highway 20 than on 530. Knowing climbers who go that way take the Cook Road exit. Maybe we should start a new thread and we can slam each other over this.

I must take offense at MtnHigh's assertion that the Huckleberry Inn fits into the "Bad" category. There is nothing quite so delicious as a stack of huckleberry pancakes with a side of crispy browns after a Hood climb. The cakes are huge and cheap. I have never eaten anything else from that fine establishment, cause I figure if it's after b-fast one should head down the road to the brew pub for a seriously greasy potion of fish-n-chips.