Paris close to banning SUVs

iain

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The proposal, certain to be opposed by motoring groups, follows similar remarks by the mayor of London, Ken Livingstone, who in May month described SUVs as "bad for London -- completely unnecessary" and called their owners "complete idiots."

yelrotflmao.gif

Don't many European cities either ban or curtail private automobiles in their downtown cores, anyway? Not a bad idea, overall, if the congestion/public safety issue is balanced out by adequate public transport and infrastructure.

Anyway, why would the automakers worry about a few french when they can toss out some rebates and dump a few more SUVs on the overweight mouth-breathers that are the american public?

Don't many European cities either ban or curtail private automobiles in their downtown cores, anyway? Not a bad idea, overall, if the congestion/public safety issue is balanced out by adequate public transport and infrastructure.

Anyway, why would the automakers worry about a few french when they can toss out some rebates and dump a few more SUVs on the overweight mouth-breathers that are the american public?

Mouth breathers! yelrotflmao.gif

OR: Prehensile tailed knuckle dragging mouth breathers.

What the fuck is up with people and big cars anyway? Compensating for something?? And I don't want to see you rich motherfuckers with your BMWs at WAL MART. That's just wrong. Wal Mart's wrong! You're out of order! THIS WHOLE STINKING COURT IS OUT OF ORDER!!!!!!! boxing_smiley.gif

I think the whole thing about big vehicles comes down to, in part, the size of the people driving them. I have a Jeep and I've read b/b messages where people complain that the seats are too small. wtf?!

They like the big trucks because the can squeeze their mounds of flesh into them easier.

I think the whole thing about big vehicles comes down to, in part, the size of the people driving them. I have a Jeep and I've read b/b messages where people complain that the seats are too small. wtf?!

They like the big trucks because the can squeeze their mounds of flesh into them easier.

Which is why the American public will never tolerate SUV's to be banned.

fatfarm_ppl.jpg

Speaking of bunperstickers- I have seen "Little dick? Get a big truck!"

That's what I'm thinking is the case with some of em.

Although I think what may be just as STUUUPID is guys in their midlife crisis cars. There's a dude at work that drives a MIATA. I hear from the few women I know that the MIATA is considered a "Chick Car" rolleyes.gif

...or the fact that I am 6'3" and driving a honda civic is a pretty shitty encounter whereas driving my f250 is just about right. I have also worked on my truck enough to get almost 20MPG out of it. Probably pretty near what the average 3 year old subaru gets eh?

Nah...my 7 year old subie wagon got 26 or so, better if strickly on the highway.

You know, there is some middle ground between a honda civic and an f250, right? wink.gif

My very tall friend (6' 6") actually found the Audi A4 very comfortable, interestingly enough...

I wonder if sweedish cars would be good for tall people? The scandanavians are quite a tall group of folks.

Here's a midlife crisis car!

prowler.jpg

w00t!

HAHAHA...plymoth prowler, where the slogan should be "ALl the looks of a bad ass roadster, with all the attitude of a honda accord"

in other words, it has a V6 and an auto tranny. tongue.gif

HA! I love the Euros!!! thumbs_up.gifbigdrink.gif

Jeeze, that statement just about sums up your political views, doesen't it? fruit.gif

The rest of this rant is not just aimed at JoshK but, all of you moonbats who have a problem with my beloved trucks.

You commie anti truck people are just great. My wife and I were briefly considering getting a car to save some gas money but you guys reminded me of my favorite reason I drive the trucks. TO PISS YOU OFF!!! The next time one of you economy car driving environmentalist geeks want to borrow one of my trucks to move or need a pull out of the ditch at the trail head, you can suck diesel exaust and munch on a goat turd sandwich. madgo_ron.gif

Funny thing is most of you are so bitter, I can't help but wonder if there's a little envy behind your comments. What's really holding you back from getting into an suv or truck? The price? Not confident you can fit in the compact parking space at the strip mall where you get your latte? hahaha.gif

Before you guys go laying your righteous explanation on me, I say save it, I don't care, I don't need a truck, I just love wasting resources and spending my money the way I see fit, so how about a cup of SHUT THE F#@K UP! wazzup.gif

Yup, better standards of living, more acceptance, less intolerance, better relations with the rest of the world, a more educated society, reasonable health care, less violence...it's a horrible thing to desire that. rolleyes.gif

Let's also get something straight. I dont really give a shit that some people have trucks. If you enjoy your truck, good for you. The thing that is ridiculous is that you go to downtown bellevue and you are surround by vain, image concious, clueless tools driving escalades, hummers, or whatever else the trend of the day is. They don't think, they just follow like a little lemming. It's pathetic and thanks to our silly auto laws, they drive giant communter vehicles that get worse milage, pollute more, and are less safe to the occupents and others on the road. We need to get rid of the "light truck" classification for SUVs. I ford pickup is one thing, but you can't convince me somebody is driving an escalade to haul gravel for their construction project.

And Bronco, as much as people around here may piss you off, dont do stuff just to piss others off. I got the impression you were kidding, tho...

My very tall friend (6' 6") actually found the Audi A4 very comfortable, interestingly enough...

Hmm... I also find the price tag a bit out of my range. You see, with $4,500 in debt, I find it rather hard to finance a $60,000 import. hahaha.gif

Hehe. no, I certainly wasn't suggesting that you buy an A4, just thoguht it was interesting that he found it so large. You can actually get a 1.8t (soon to be 2.0t) with quattro and a decent set of options for low 30s. I realize it's still a pricey car, but my big question is why would anybody buy a 3 series BMW when you can get an A4 with AWD and better features, inside and out, for less money??

Hmm... I also find the price tag a bit out of my range. You see, with $4,500 in debt, I find it rather hard to finance a $60,000 import. hahaha.gif

Hehe. no, I certainly wasn't suggesting that you buy an A4, just thoguht it was interesting that he found it so large. You can actually get a 1.8t (soon to be 2.0t) with quattro and a decent set of options for low 30s. I realize it's still a pricey car, but my big question is why would anybody buy a 3 series BMW when you can get an A4 with AWD and better features, inside and out, for less money??

I agree... next year sometime I hope to have one in my quiver.

I know it's totally unfair, but I'm all for banning large trucks for common usages like COMMUTING. the_finger.gifthe_finger.gif

I also want to see two carpool/HOV lanes all freeways near metropolitan areas isntead of just one. Take out the a-hole lane and make it HOV. F*ck one-car-one-driver commuters. Traffic is just too f*cked up for everyone to drive their own car. Shit, it might even improve your social life and result in interesting conversation to actually be around other people for once. And with two HOV lanes they might actually work instead of just being a passing lane for dickheads.