just got airline ticket

johndavidjr

Figuring on what I posted previously: that hike from Lake of Angels to Lena Lake in last week of June. So, like, this has a little class 2 terrain but no class 3, right? (please no sandbagging!!!) & I should bring helmet & ax but no crampons-- somebody says? I'm figuring three days, for leisurely travel??? Any other advise? Any bets on whether I'll die as a stupid solo scumbag Easterner? I may try bus & hitch-hiking from Olympia, so feel free to run me down, or whatever, just keep yer eyes peeled for guy with blue MEC pack.

Edited by johndavidjr

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just getting to lake of the angels is pushing class 3. My wife still (after 18 years) gives me shit about the "headwall". I have never gone over to Lena, but my parents have and it sounded like close to class 4. I have gone over to hagen lake, which is much nicer than lena IMNSHO. That traverse is low class 4, high 3. Plus you can tag Mt Stone on the way.

Great hike, I highly recommend it. The chance of death is very low.

Ok. Even though I don't like your enviro-politics, and your desire to lock me out of MY mountains is an outrage, I can't help but offer you my last experience on this route....

My brother and I did the traverse in one day car-to-car on July 1, 2001.

From my log book: It took us 3 hours to reach Upper Lena which was thawed out, but had some snow around the shores still. A sign directed us to Scout Lake, but the trail was soon lost in snow. The sheer mass of Mount Bretherton is revealed from the ridge traverse. It's huge! After a couple of minor off route adventures, we arrived at Deerheart Lake, a beautiful little tarn that looked like it would provide some good camping for overnighters. We soon dropped down some, and arrived at the so called "difficult traverse". Class two or three, but nice tree roots to hang on to. It would have been more difficult with heavy packs, but only the most timid would have any trouble at all. (No rope required) Scout Lake is visible below this point, but it is quite a bit off of the route. We regained some altitude and picked our way through the trees back up to the ridge line. The "Stone Ponds" were completely snow covered, but avalanche lillies were begining to bloom around the edges of meadow areas. Saint Peters Gate was plainly visible ahead. A large perennial snow field that descends from Mount Stone was crossed here and a huge square block of rock the size of a small house was passed en route to the pass. Nice step kicking, not too steep, no rope needed. (Ski poles or axe advised. DO NOT go to the left "pass". St Peters Gate is the obvious u-shaped notch...Don't second guess yourself here!)

We arrived at St Peters Gate...7 1/2 hours from the car. Lake of the Angels below still 90% snow covered, but dry terrain down climbing (easy class 2...if even that!) on this side of the pass to snow just above the lake. We could have bypassed Lake of the Angels and saved some time, but this is one of my favorite mountain places, so we hung out here for half an hour. Hiking down from the lake the trail was almost immediately snow free. I slipped backwards on wet tree roots, instinctively threw my ski poles back, and listend to one of them snap as I fell hard to the ground, landing on my tailbone. Shit! The hike out the Putvin Trail was uneventful. (Dont worry about the "difficult section" here either. Just watch your step and use dry tree roots to llower yourself down one easy move.) We had stashed mountain bikes at the trailhead, and rode them back to the Lower Lena trailhead for a round trip time of about 12 hours.

I have a friend who did this trip last year, but continued on to Gladys Divide and Flapjack Lakes. He said the section beyond Mount Skokomish involves much elevation loss and moderate to heavy bushwacking.

PM me if you need more info. I'll post pictures if can ever get my slide scanner to work again with Windows XP!

Oh yea...thank me by supporting the reopening of The Dosewallips Road!

grin.gif

Brian

DavidjohnDavidJuniorEastcoaster,

me and my little bro did your trip last year as a day hike (Putvin Trail/Mt. Stone Summit/Scout Lake/Upper Lena/Lower Lena/out). Hardest part for us was decending after summiting Mt. Stone, probably because we just went straight down from the summit to the little lake just to the east (you continue north from there to Scout Lake). If you go to the summit, you'll see how stupid this was, but then we were looking for adventure.

2nd hardest part was finding the trail from that little lake up to the ridge to the east of the Mt. Stone summit, which you follow for a while before dropping down to Upper Lena Lake. We lost the trail twice, as it gets faint in some places. But it was Class 2 all the way, including summiting Mt. Stone (but not the route we took down from the summit). If you don't agree, then I've got some Class 3 that you'll think is Class 5 for ya. I don't think snow will be a problem for you, but bring an axe just to be safe and look cool. We didn't and were fine. I really don't think you'll need a helmet, but my lawyer advises you to bring one and wear it at all times. Be sure to put a sticker on front that says "Trask".

I frequently consider an ice axe to be a 12 month out of the year piece of gear in the Olympics. It comes in handy sometimes for those vertical bushwacks, vege-scree, digging through the crusty layer of that remnant snow patch to get something clean to fill your water bottle, fighting off the occasional ornery goat, splinting your buddy's leg when he misjudges the soundness of the rock beneath his feet, whatever. My single axe is lighter than trekking poles, which I don't like to use anyways.

I don't want to discourage further comments, but thanks a lot to the above folks, especially to Fairweather, given our previous disagreement re. the Dose road. I will bookmark this, & possibly ask more questions via pm as offered, once I dust off my maps & get to nitty gritty.

Edited by johndavidjr

Ok. Even though I don't like your enviro-politics, and your desire to lock me out of MY mountains is an outrage, I can't help but offer you my last experience on this route....

Fairweather, what a nice jesture. Even though johndavidjr has seen my post last month stating that brinnonprosperity is not involved in development, he has continued on this diatribe.

We in Jefferson County have welcomed people like yourself and him for generations. He should keep in mind when visiting, that the incredibly "cheap" County buses he rides, are subsidised by we the taxpayers of Jefco, and we pay for the roads he rides on.

Brinnonprosperity.org is not some right wing site, and has fairly portrayed the access issue, including links to the opponents sites. The views expressed therein are reflective of the majority of Jefco residents, who have the most to lose with closure of access.

There are no development interests involved in our effort, and we have clearly stated that we favor more wilderness, provided there is access.

We consider that our efforts and considerable expense are a service to all Americans, of all ages, who want to see the Parks they are paying for!

I hope that johndavidjr has a nice trip to our area, and that he stops to think of all those who are paying every day to make his trip possible......especially those of us here in Jefferson County, Washington..

cool.gif