Mt Adams north side ski/climb

PeterF

Are there any good climb/ski combinations on the north side of adams? Was thinking a climb up adams glacier or stormy, but what would be a good moderate descent? The guy I'm with has not done any glacial skiing so I want something that is pretty easy on the way down. If there is nothing - what about the south side? I know that has good skiing, but all of the climbing looks like a slog...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The white Salmon would be a good alternative to get down from the north side, but is still a glacier, though not very technical. As for the ascent, Stormy offers a lot of rockfall, so if you do climb that then do it early in the morning. The Adams is a nice climb too, but again watch for debris. The road is open to the trailhead right now. Good luck. There are many routes you can ski, but for your first time consider the adams (if you climb it. There is a descent schrund right now you may have to rap) or the white salmon.

Here's our TR that fleblebleb was talking about: web page

If your partner hasn't done any glacier skiing, then maybe take a look at the SW chutes with access from the south spur. Otherwise, a more moderate line like the White Salmon might be good, as Jason said. That would also get you away from the masses.

I ended up skiing st helens/hood + rock climbing at smith instead. My partners were not up for st helens, hood, AND adams in 5 days...

I think I am going to try to go out and do it solo next week if I cannot find a partner. How are the crevasses on the summit/shrunds on the different routes? I was thinking of climbing up the north ridge, then skiing it down or something else that was relatively crevasse free (or if everything seems sketch...run up the south side).

Alternatively...if anyone wants to have a climb/ski next week...PM me!