annual permit never mailed out?

pete_a

my climbing partner and I bought annual permits at Longmire Saturday morning April 10th and neither of us ever received our actual permits in the mail. I still have our 'climbing special use permit' for our overnight stay at Muir that weekend but of course neither of us kept our little temporary annual permit slip...and both paid in cash.

I've called the park service three times, explaining the situation to a different person each time and giving our climbing permit# from that trip, yet no annual permits mailed out, not even a returned phone call to tell me 'tough luck, buy another one'.

Don't want this to come across as pointless griping over a measly $30, just wondering if anyone else out there who bought an annual permit around that time or that same weekend has also not received their annual permit? I figure lots of folks were on the mountain that weekend, so it seems like at least a few folks paid for annual permits that weekend.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad bought his in February, and I purchased mine in March. Neither of us have received the annual permits either. I recall talking to one cc.commer who had not kept his temporary permit (I still have mine), and when he registered for another climb, the ranger took his word that he had paid for a permit earlier in the year.

This has also happened to me. Luckily I kept my temporary pass/reciept as well. Hopefully later in the summer when the park is fully staffed the mail-outs will begin. Until then it sounds like the park is honoring receipts/honor system.

Which brings up park revenues. It seems that if the mail-outs were done the park could establish more accuratly who has paid and who hasn't. Because the park must rely on the honor code right now, does not paying to mail out yearly permits outweight people going up the mountain for free. Which is more expensive for the park in the short term??

hahaha.gif

I guess its good to know that I'm not the only one who hasn't received their permit....still frustrating though...when I head up again this summer I'll just take my chances that the ranger I talk with is in a good mood and will believe me that I paid already.

I completely understand that the park service is horribly understaffed even in the summer, but I've never had to wait more than a few weeks to get my permit in the mail in years past.

FYI,

The guys at Rainier really went the extra mile to help me out. Mike sent me a message saying he'd follow up the permits and I got a call tonight from the park service letting me know that a bunch of permits that had been in the deposit box at Longmire got mailed out last week...so anyone who didn't get their permit yet and paid for it at Longmire this spring will probably get it within a few days.

Thanks Mike!