This coming weekend

JoshK

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only have Saturday and part of Sunday, so I'm going run up and climb Mt. Deception from Royal Basin. Prolly hike up and summit on Saturday, then bivy above Shelter Rock Saturday night, and hike out Sunday morning. Gotta be in Port Townsend Sunday afternoon.

Looking good! Maybe I'll go play on a volcano instead.

WEST SLOPES NORTH CASCADES AND PASSES-

WEST SLOPES CENTRAL CASCADES AND PASSES-

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SEATTLE WA

330 PM PDT TUE JUN 8 2004

.SYNOPSIS...AN UNSETTLED WEATHER PATTERN WILL PERSIST OVER THE AREA THROUGH THURSDAY...WITH THE CHANCE OF SHOWERS INCREASING AGAIN WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON. EXPECT DRY WEATHER TO RETURN ON FRIDAY AS HIGH PRESSURE MOVES OVER THE REGION.

TONIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY... FREEZING LEVEL 9000 FEET... LIGHT WIND IN THE PASSES.

WEDNESDAY...SHOWERS LIKELY...MAINLY IN THE AFTERNOON... SNOW LEVEL 8500 FEET. AFTERNOON PASS TEMPERATURES NEAR 60. WEST WIND IN THE PASSES 5 TO 15 MPH.

WEDNESDAY NIGHT...SHOWERS LIKELY... SNOW LEVEL 8000 FEET... WEST WIND IN THE PASSES 5 TO 15 MPH.

THURSDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY... A CHANCE OF SHOWERS... SNOW LEVEL 6500 FEET AFTERNOON PASS TEMPERATURES IN THE 50S. WEST WIND IN THE PASSES 10 TO 20 MPH.

THURSDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY... A CHANCE OF SHOWERS... SNOW LEVEL 6000 FEET. WEST WIND IN THE PASSES 5 TO 15 MPH.

FRIDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY... FREEZING LEVEL 7000 FEET... AFTERNOON PASS TEMPERATURES IN THE 50S.

FRIDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY... FREEZING LEVEL 7000 FEET

SATURDAY...PARTLY SUNNY... FREEZING LEVEL 8000 FEET... AFTERNOON PASS TEMPERATURES IN THE 50S.

SATURDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY... FREEZING LEVEL 8500 FEET

SUNDAY...PARTLY SUNNY... FREEZING LEVEL 10500 FEET... AFTERNOON PASS TEMPERATURES IN THE LOWER TO MID 60S.

SUNDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY... FREEZING LEVEL 10500 FEET

MONDAY...PARTLY SUNNY... FREEZING LEVEL 9500 FEET... AFTERNOON PASS TEMPERATURES IN THE LOWER TO MID 60S.

MONDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY... FREEZING LEVEL 8000 FEET

TUESDAY...PARTLY SUNNY... FREEZING LEVEL 8500 FEET... AFTERNOON PASS TEMPERATURES IN THE 50S.

I'm for sure into doing some skiing. I'd like to summit one of the volcanoes or do something long and and adventureous. I'd like to find a first descent but I'm open for any kind of skiing or tour. I have Friday, Saturday, and Sunday off.

Donnelly

Forcast is now for clouds and possible rain on Sunday cry.gifcry.gifcry.gifWhy can't they just pick something and stick with it? I want my high pressure system!! cry.gifcry.gifcry.gif

WEST SLOPES NORTH CASCADES AND PASSES-

WEST SLOPES CENTRAL CASCADES AND PASSES-

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SEATTLE WA

817 AM PDT WED JUN 9 2004...UPDATED

.SYNOPSIS...AN UPPER TROUGH WILL LINGER OVER THE AREA TODAY AND MOVE INLAND TONIGHT. ANOTHER TROUGH WILL MOVE OVER WESTERN WASHINGTON THURSDAY. ONSHORE FLOW WILL KEEP THE AIR MASS MOIST. A WEAK RIDGE WILL MOVE INLAND SATURDAY...FOLLOWED BY A WEAK FRONT SUNDAY. THE FIRST PART OF NEXT WEEK LOOKS DRY.

TODAY...PARTLY CLOUDY LATE IN THE MORNING THEN BECOMING MOSTLY CLOUDY. SCATTERED SHOWERS. ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS IN THE AFTERNOON. SNOW LEVEL 8500 FEET. AFTERNOON PASS TEMPERATURES IN THE MID 50S. LIGHT WIND BECOMING WEST 10 TO 15 MPH IN THE AFTERNOON.

TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY... SCATTERED SHOWERS... ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS IN THE EVENING. SNOW LEVEL 8000 FEET. WEST WIND IN THE PASSES 10 TO 15 MPH.

THURSDAY...SHOWERS LIKELY... SNOW LEVEL 6500 FEET... AFTERNOON PASS TEMPERATURES IN THE UPPER 40S. SOUTHWEST WIND IN THE PASSES 10 TO 20 MPH.

THURSDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY... CHANCE OF SHOWERS... SNOW LEVEL 6000 FEET. WEST WIND IN THE PASSES 10 TO 15 MPH.

FRIDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY... CHANCE OF SHOWERS... SNOW LEVEL 6000 FEET AFTERNOON PASS TEMPERATURES IN THE MID 40S TO LOWER 50S. WEST WIND IN THE PASSES 10 TO 15 MPH.

FRIDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY... CHANCE OF SHOWERS... SNOW LEVEL 6000 FEET.

SATURDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY... FREEZING LEVEL 8000 FEET

SATURDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY... FREEZING LEVEL 8500 FEET

SUNDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY... CHANCE OF SHOWERS... SNOW LEVEL 9500 FEET

SUNDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY... FREEZING LEVEL 10500 FEET

MONDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY... FREEZING LEVEL 9500 FEET

MONDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY... FREEZING LEVEL 8000 FEET

TUESDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY... FREEZING LEVEL 8500 FEET

I've found it's generally this order...

mostly cloudy

partly sunny

partly cloudy

mostly sunnny sunny

Why they can't just use cloud cover %s like they do in aviation forecasts is beyond me. I think they get more room for wild ass guessing with this system. tongue.gif

I've found it's generally this order...

mostly cloudy

partly sunny

partly cloudy

mostly sunnny sunny

Why they can't just use cloud cover %s like they do in aviation forecasts is beyond me. I think they get more room for wild ass guessing with this system. tongue.gif

can you get aviation forecasts, and if so, are the legible to a layperson?

Here is the national aviation weather site:

http://aviationweather.gov/

Below is a link to the SFO (west coast) area forecast. Judge for yourself, but they aren't all that readable to me smile.gif I remember for the brief time I took flight lessons with my dads just kind of staring at these blindly as my instructor looked over them:

http://aviationweather.gov/products/fa/dynamic/sanfrancisco_fa.shtml

Aviation forecasts are pretty helpful for climbing b/c they include temps and winds at various elevations, and where the cloud tops are. Translating them isn't so bad once you get the hang of it. This may help: METAR glossary

If you subscribe to a system called DUATs you can read aviation forecasts online in English. DUATs is free (or it was the last time I was into this stuff)