Best President in History?

pope

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Teddy Roosevelt and FDR. Must be something about the name? smile.gif

As I said in another post, for being just an all-around genuinely good person, Carter takes the prize. He's the nelson mandela of the U.S. if that makes sense.

The creed of the cc.commie losers among us:

"Show me a saint and I'll show you a skeleton in a closet."

This is a hard question to answer but I know three things for sure:

it isn't

James Garfield because he only served for 6 months

or Zachary Taylor (less than 2 years in office)and most definitely not

William Harrison (only one month in office before dying of pnemonia).

From what I know of history, I would choose Lincoln as the best President in U.S. history because of the risks and sacrifices he had to make to save our (entire) country from itself. Lincoln was the first Republican President.

I would then choose Teddy Roosevelt or Franklin Delano Roosevelt next. George Washington's military accomplishments seem to overshadow his Presidential achievements.

None of the Presidents after FDR have held much esteem to me but I would offer Reagan more credit than the liberal yahoos on this site. Kennedy gets props for his thwarting of missiles to Cuba.

I don't know. I respect them all...even Clinton. I would be sad if Clinton were to die tomorrow.

From what I know of history, I would choose Lincoln as the best President in U.S. history because of the risks and sacrifices he had to make to save our (entire) country from itself. Lincoln was the first Republican President.

It's prudent to note that the republican party of then is closer to the democratic party of now. Obviously there are bigtime blurs in the lines, but take Teddy, for example. He certainly represented the "liberal" side of the line as compared to his foes. New England was a republican stronghold back in the day smile.gif

"Progressive" only by the standards of his day. Certainly not a liberal by standards applied then, or now. grin.gif

In all fairness, you have to really measure all these guys against their era. In effect , you could consider Lincoln a racist today, since he didn't really support abolition until it seemed nescessary to hold the union together.

One of Teddy's big accomplishments was stemming the tide of big business gaining more and more power. Unfortunately the trend seems to be reversing today...

"Progressive" only by the standards of his day. Certainly not a liberal by standards applied then, or now. grin.gif

In all fairness, you have to really measure all these guys against their era. In effect , you could consider Lincoln a racist today, since he didn't really support abolition until it seemed nescessary to hold the union together.

One of Teddy's big accomplishments was stemming the tide of big business gaining more and more power. Unfortunately the trend seems to be reversing today...

Lincoln was an abolishionist all along. This is (mostly) why the south hated him so. He just didn't issue his emancipation proclamation as law until it became politically expedient to do so.

Ironically, I am writing a paper about the polarization of the left and right in the post world war II era. it's interesting to see what all went into it. It wasn't always like this. One thing is for sure, the christian right has certainly made things worse. thumbs_down.gif

Ironically, I am writing a paper about the polarization of the left and right in the post world war II era. it's interesting to see what all went into it. It wasn't always like this. One thing is for sure, the christian right has certainly made things worse. thumbs_down.gif

I think you give them too much credit. Fringe right-wing christian groups are mostly balanced out by moderate-to-liberal Catholics, and mostly-liberal black Southern Baptist churches.

Regardless, as long as any group works within our system of laws, I have no problem with them. The 'checks and balances' of our secular republic remain in effect.

Regardless, as long as any group works within our system of laws, I have no problem with them.
Fairweather: it would be interesting to me to hear your take on lobbyists in congress. To me, lobbying is nothing more than legalized bribery.