[TR] Magic Mtn- Magic Mtn couloir 6/4/2004

philfort

Climb: Magic Mtn-Magic Mtn couloir

Date of Climb: 6/4/2004

Trip Report:

On Friday Matt Peters and I skied the couloir that drops NE from the Magic Mtn ridgeline into Pelton Basin. This is the curvy one one easily seen from Sahale or Buckner.

It turned out to be a really sweet run, highly recommended! The snow conditions were a little on the soft side - about a foot of wet snow from the previous weekend. No large objects coming down though, unlike when I attempted it with Bill F 3 weeks ago.

We climbed up the couloir, reaching the top around 9am. Awesome views of Formidable and Spider from the top! It looks like it would be accessible from the KoolAid lake side too.

We didn't waste much time since things were warming up. The descent went smoothly, and we continued down the Yawning Glacier snout into Pelton Basin, for a run of about 2800ft.

Full TR here: http://www.mtnphil.com/Magic/Magic.html

Photo of the route from late June of last year:

38Couloir1-med.jpg

Matt skiing down:

38MattSki4-med.jpg

Gear Notes:

skis, helmet, axe, crampons (didn't need them).

Approach Notes:

Road closed at MP21. Route still ok straight up to the pass, with a few bare sections.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Got any predictions on how much longer it might stay in shape?

Probably several more weeks I would think... the direct approach up to Cascade Pass is melting out quickly though. I give it another week and a half before the trail is the better option.

This was Phil's baby. He scoped out the line, and it was his drive that got us up and down. I was just along for the ride. The weather was great, taking off Friday was well worth it fruit.gif

It's amazing how strapping on a pair of 195's changes your skiing style, especially in a steep couloir.

The snow on Sahale arm above Cascade Pass isn't continuous anymore, and the direct descent from Cascade Pass won't last much longer, so if you have skiing plans nearby, I'd go sooner rather than later.