What Does Climbin' mean to you?

Bronco

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Long time Lurker first time poster!

To me climbing is all about the scene and the people. It's about hanging out with my friends at some boulders and swinging from the same sport pitches together. It's about matching quickdraws, pushing the ratings and coordinating REI accessories and Subaru vehicles.

quote:

Originally posted by joekania:

I guess I would be completely miserable if I didn't climb. It is either an escape, a form of self-destruction, or something I found that actually makes me happy. I'm going with c) makes me happy. Also a good substitute for dating- first you become infatuated with a mountain, find out everything you can, get to know it, commit to a line, reach a climax; after the initial rush wears off, you see another, more attractive, mountain; then you suffer the rigors of a descent, the process begins over. The biggest plus to this analogy is that the stories are much much more entertaining. Not to mention climbing is an initial turn-on for a girl, then a total turn off when they realize you'll be spending weekends sweating and grunting with guys far from toilets while risking your life on a widow-and-orphan-making hobby. So I might as well climb as much as I can, right?

It's all clear to me now...so this is why guys who climb can't understand how we women can have as much passion for it as you do. Get over it.

I climb because I love being in the mountains. I like living out of bounds and out of the back of my truck. I like the physical and mental challenges and feeling strong.

And sometimes I like hanging out with you male climbing fools because you make me laugh with all of your bravado and need to spray about yourselves. The fact that you have to mark every interesting thing you pass by pissing on it is also a pretty funny thing.

well i would have to say the only thing climbing REALLY means to me is not much.

granted it is great fun and i love being misrable and i love stylin it. the mental and physical conditioning that i recieve ain't too bad either.

but in the long run, the gains from climbing are paltry compared the things that i gain from interpersonal action. wheter it be climbing or soccer or just hangin out and meeting new people is what i see the greatest thing in life. climbing cannot even compare.

also climbing takes more then it gives back, financially, mentally, physically, socially and spiritually.....it certainly returns most of those things in form or another, but not in tune with the original output....so from a business standpoint it is a poor investment!

last thing on it, i am going to say is that the people who attempt to enlighten us on all the foo foo trancensding bullshit need to come back to reality....abnd should maybe consider only hittin' the 2ft bong opposed to the 3 footer....

it is a sport and not much more.....

[ 07-19-2002, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: erik ]

Erik, you're a genius! I think you have your head screwed on perfectly and your philosophy rocks. You are rational, intelligent, and have a good perspective on life. And fuck any of your tree-huggin' hippies that say he's out of touch with the earth, or some shit like that. Erik gets my vote for "Cool Dude of the Month".

trask

quote:

Originally posted by erik:

...but in the long run, the gains from climbing are paltry compared the things that i gain from interpersonal action. wheter it be climbing or soccer or just hangin out and meeting new people is what i see the greatest thing in life. climbing cannot even compare.

it is a sport and not much more.....

Absolutely correct, Erik. One of the best things I have gained from climbing is all of the great people I've met and the comraderie we have when spending time in the mountains, at the pub, or hanging out anywhere. It's been a way to find a community up here in the NW.

Climbing is one sport that I feel comfortable with and I tend to like most of the other participants. I'm sure there are other sports that also have cool people who do them.

also the success that climbing brings is short lived. being successful at work or with friends or other sports is just as meaningful and worth while. i would never solely sell my soul to climbing as i see that as self limiting. i have many friends who do not climb and i am glad. because i can only talk so much about climbing, before it gets boring...blah blah blah...crank this, crank this......steep, thin, wide....blah blah blah.....

the thing with climbers that i have notices is that most of them share the same perspectives on things...great!!! but there is always more...i try to observe the world for all aspects and if i committed solely to climbing what would i lose in between?? more then i think.....or could even imagine.....

i was hittin it pretty hard early in the year...crankin many days and pushing myself...it was great, but as the summer moves along and i find myself enjoying climbing, but i also find myself enjoying many other things too......but in many ways i find myself getting bored with it....i no ways does that mean i will quit or stop or really take a break, but i am scaling back...i see no harm in this...i can climb near my level off the couch and accomplish what i want.....so i have no complaints.....and i am having alot of fun in between , enjoying things that climbing in no way could ever give me...

Erk go to cascadesoccerplayers.com for your foo foo soccer and Ultimate and disc golf fixes... soccer better than climbing BAH!!!

Climbing isnt a sport - it is a lifestyle. I choose to climb and I accept the lifestyle that comes with it. Sure I am a weekend warrior at present but I am about to take 2 weeks of gnarly alpine dirtbagism... looking 4wards with great glee to not shaving, sunscreen scum on my glasses and 3am alpine starts [big Grin] bring it ON [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by trask:

here's what climbin'

means to me

nasty_climbers.gif

Mr. Trask - I think everyone here already knew that about you... [laf]

As you always seem to have some kind of visual aid pulled from the deepest recesses of the Internet quagmire with which to clarify your views, I can only think that you missed your calling in life... When can we expect your touring slideshow and presentation on the meaning of life?