What Does Climbin' mean to you?

Bronco

I am not getting anything done at work today, too exicted about a planned climb tomorow and I have been kinda ponderin' the question, how important is climbing to you?

I tend to go through stages where it's just a recreational hobby I do once in a while, then next thing I know I am threatening to pound on someone for calling a gym rat a climber and just staring out the window at the mountains wishing I was there. I can see Glacier Peak right now. I guess I need to accept it, I am addicted.

"hello, my name is Ryan and I'm a climbaholic"

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Dennis Harmon:

whatcha climb, GhostBuster?

Dude's climbing a barstool to Margaritaville!! [Cool][Cool]

Climbing is forgetting everything else that is going on in the world and being totally in the now. Freedom from baggage of the world.

GregW

I think climbings allure to me exists on many levels. I could go into all of them but mainly I would say that it fits me and my lifestyle. For me I know it is not just a phase it is my life now. I plan my life around it to a large extent and hope to be climbing into my 100's.

I guess I would be completely miserable if I didn't climb. It is either an escape, a form of self-destruction, or something I found that actually makes me happy. I'm going with c) makes me happy. Also a good substitute for dating- first you become infatuated with a mountain, find out everything you can, get to know it, commit to a line, reach a climax; after the initial rush wears off, you see another, more attractive, mountain; then you suffer the rigors of a descent, the process begins over. The biggest plus to this analogy is that the stories are much much more entertaining. Not to mention climbing is an initial turn-on for a girl, then a total turn off when they realize you'll be spending weekends sweating and grunting with guys far from toilets while risking your life on a widow-and-orphan-making hobby. So I might as well climb as much as I can, right?

[laf] funny joekania [laf]

I echo Gregs response. Ive found it really puts me in the moment....somewhat healthier [Confused] way of forgetting shit (bills, relationships, work, etc) than Ive used in the past. Ya, ya, I know the "healthy" part might be debateable. [Roll Eyes]

I also enjoy how it challenges me to think differently. i (think) I kind of like scaring the shit out of myself. [Confused]

And of course, its FUN! [Wink]

Ive always loved being outdoors. Climbing has taken my respect and enjoyment for the outdoors to a different level.

Nice post Bronco

quote:

Originally posted by Figger Eight:

Buying cool looking shit and spraying to chicks at bars.

Fighting off snafflehounds, eating horsecock, chestbeating and spray, and getting mass assaulted by blood sucking insects. [Roll Eyes]

A friend of mine said once that the risks involved in climbing are approached consciously and thoughtfully, while we drive around with no consideration of the dangers of driving, or other activities. I would more happily cash in my chips on a glacier than bleeding out halfway through a windshield with a cell phone a hundred yards away with someone saying, "Can you hear me now?"

quote:

Originally posted by carolyn:

[laf]
funny joekania
[laf]

I echo Gregs response. Ive found it really puts me in the moment....somewhat healthier
[Confused]
way of forgetting shit (bills, relationships, work, etc) than Ive used in the past. Ya, ya, I know the "healthy" part might be debateable.
[Roll Eyes]

I also enjoy how it challenges me to think differently. i (think) I kind of like scaring the shit out of myself.
[Confused]

And of course, its FUN!
[Wink]

Ive always loved being outdoors. Climbing has taken my respect and enjoyment for the outdoors to a different level.

Nice post Bronco

Too much. My wife's name is Carolyn and she would rather see me die on a freeway than have a good time in the mountains. That's why I do it.

I sort of hate climbing. That's why I don't climb very much. It scares the crap out of me. I used to enjoy it, and sometimes I still do, but climbing is my psychic nemesis. It's scary, counterintuitive (for me, not for everyone) and it's dangerous.

But it's also really, really fun. The sheer pleasure of moving over rock, well, it's sublime.

The reason I climb though, is the same reason I rode a motorcycle for years. When I'm climbing, I find that I cannot focus on ANYTHING else. Very few activites blot out the rest of the world like that for me.

I think there's something really liberating about having that kind of focus. Makes you feel alive.

[ 07-18-2002, 02:14 AM: Message edited by: allison ]

quote:

Originally posted by Dennis Harmon:

I climb because I'm too poor to go golfing at the country club. Besides,...those people really don't like me anymore. Dennis

Go figger they don't like you, can't understand why. [Confused]

Anyone for passing the hat so Dennis can go goof'in? [Roll Eyes]

Than he can spray on Goof'in .com [sleep]