What do I do with empty MSR isobutane canisters?

Kiwi

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of talk about refilling, and I'm aware that it's most likely not possible. However, I thought maybe the canister was recyclable.

I'm not on an environmental crusade or anything. I was just puzzled after I used up my very FIRST canister. I had absolutely NO IDEA what I was supposed to do with it. I wasn't sure if there was a procedure or anything. Seemed logical that the canisters would be recyclable--I didn't have reason to think otherwise.

And for those who suggested white gas stoves, I'd be in the same situation as I am now if I bought a white gas stove. I'd be equally puzzled with what to do with an empty white gas canister. That's why I made this topic in the Newbie forum.

And for those who suggested white gas stoves, I'd be in the same situation as I am now if I bought a white gas stove. I'd be equally puzzled with what to do with an empty white gas canister. That's why I made this topic in the Newbie forum.

.. umh, not quite. the point with white gas cannisters is that they are reusable. you don't throw them out, you just fill them with more white gas. unless of course you mean what to do with the container the white gas comes in from the store. (just make sure it's empty and handle as normal, recycle, trash, whatever).

.. umh, not quite. the point with white gas cannisters is that they are reusable. you don't throw them out, you just fill them with more white gas.
That's what I'd assume. But again, I've never owned a camping stove before. So all this is foreign to me.

The white gas cans should be recyclable after they are aired out, which doesn't take long. Probably the same with the canisters but I'd give the local office (whoever handles recycling) a call and check with them. You might have to talk to a couple of people before they understand your situation but its worth a shot.

-Nate

Called the other day, Portland Metro will accept isobutane canisters at their dropoff station (on in N Portland, may be others). No curb pickup though (not even empties). I assume Seattle has something similar.

Edited by b-rock

• 1 month later...

Put the canister under your pillow... the canister fairy will be in shortly.

Response to a previous comment about how they can refill home propane tanks. Those are heavier built. The canisters are built with weight in mind. If they were to over build them to prevent bends and dings from exploding when they are repressurized, they would be much heavier. That is not a good thing.

here's an idea!

How about asking these questions before you buy? You may have bought the wrong type of stove. Your question tells me two things: you didn't ask the right questions, and you got shitty help. Let me guess, REI?

do some frickin' research

Burn all the fuel out of them, puncture, throw in the recycle.

No one's going to tell you that officially because they don't want to get sued if you screw up, but that's the way to do it, perfectly acceptable to the recycling peeps.

Anybody not worried about being sued (and who also is still alive and has not been burned really badly) wanna post on your methods for puncturing these babies?

Getcherself a hammer and a nail.

Pick up canister. Shake it. It's probably empty. You hear something shaking around in there? Well, don't worry about it, it's probably empty.

I personally like to do my cannister puncturing in a cozy comfortable place like in front of my roaring fireplace with my piles of gasoline soaked rags nearby (I use them to get the fireplace goin').

Put nail against cannister. Wack with hammer.

See ya in court! wave.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
here's an idea!

How about asking these questions before you buy? You may have bought the wrong type of stove. Your question tells me two things: you didn't ask the right questions, and you got shitty help. Let me guess, REI?

do some frickin' research

Just didn't really occur to me to ask. I'm usually very thorough in my research.

And why all the hate? Hahaha. yellaf.gif