bored at work? climb K2 : )

gapertimmy

If you haven't heard, Hollywood is going to take another stab at making a climbing movie. Picking up where Cliffhanger left off, Sony is going to release Vertical Limit in December. Story goes, a guide is hired to lead some clients up K2 and everything that can go wrong, does. A very creative story line if you ask me. Anyhow, enough of my trailer review, check out the website when you have a chance: http://www.spe.sony.com/movies/verticallimit/

You can do this virtual guided climb of K2 up on the website, a choose your own adventure sort of thing. I personally have yet to reach the top, I always get toasted by an avalanche or somebody gets toasted and I have to go back to basecamp. Bummer. Hopefully, I will be able to make a successful summit bid during my lunch break.

enjoy!

check out the sweeeeeet pic for the flick:

splash_r2_c1.jpg

[This message has been edited by tim (edited 11-08-2000).]

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite part is the opening tag line: "The highest mountain on Earth"...then a shot of K2.

Or how about: Chris O, climing unacclimated, in full gear, doing a full sprint run over a cliff to avoid an avalanche.

Or how about: The are going to save the others trapped in a cravasse by blowing them out with dynomite.

Barry Blanchard (who worked with Ed Viesters as an advisor) said something to the effect, "There's only about 50 feet of climbing in the movie. But there's a lot of falling. So this isn't a climbing movie, it's a falling movie".

And you thought Cliffhanger was absurd.

I don't think anyone should take this too seriously--Lethal Weapon and Die Hard aren't exactly documentaries either. Actually, Mike's idea for opening night sounds kinda like fun, but way too hot...

[This message has been edited by Griff (edited 11-10-2000).]

I hope not I like the humor.

-Ray

quote:

Originally posted by Griff:

I don't think anyone should take this too seriously--Lethal Weapon and Die Hard aren't exactly documentaries either. Actually, Mike's idea for opening night sounds kinda like fun, but way too hot...

While Die Hard, and Lethal Weapon weren't documentaries, I don't think VL will be that good of a story. And their being inaccurate portrayals of police work doesn't mean two wrongs make a right, excusing VL for falsely portraying climbing. Read on:

Titanic is a better example. While hugely successful and widely praised, Titanic had not only a great story, but also was technically accurate. James Cameron was insistant that the film be historically accurate. He did it, and made a great movie.

Also, what made Titanic (and many other films that were faithful and accurate to their subject: Backdraft, Boyz In The Hood, Unforgiven, Apollo 13, etc.) a good film was that it had all the elements that make a good story: Anticipation, superior position, hope versus fear, etc. Plus great character development and realism. Suspending accuracy was not necessary in order to further the story in an exciting and dramatic manner. Something that seems lost on the VL team (from everything I've heard so far). It's as if King, Campbell the rest involved had a few good ideas, and just put them to climbing. Then rely on action to further what appears to be a silly, unrealistic, and uncompelling story. With mountaineering only serving as a convenient backdrop.

Snow man (get it, snowman), you a serious insomniac. As far as Titanic is concerned, I haven't seen the movie, and plan on being one of the few people in free world to do so. I saw my first TV commercial for VL last night and it was the stupidest thing I have ever seen. Granted, people who don’t climb probably don’t realize this, but the last thing they show is this guy leaping of a ledge across to this huge pillar while falling a few hundred feet, only to catch himself with his lone ice tool. Obviously the director saw the Matrix (which I liked). Hollywood rarely makes movies that are accurate to what they are portraying.

Oh yeah, I still haven’t been able to find one of those bolt/piton guns they had in Cliffhanger. I wonder if those will be covered in the wilderness bolting ban?

I suspect the movie will be poor. In fact, I haven't been real impressed with a movie in a long time, but I doubt that we have to worry too much about SAR being overwhelmed by people deciding to go climbing after watching the movie... You can like the movie or you can hate the movie, that's the way of Hollywood.

Here's an idea:

I am going to go to the premier showing. And you know how after big movies come out, sometimes the news shows up and asks people what they thought. I am going to find that news team and get in front of the camera and go, "Hi, I'm Snowleopard, and I am a real climber, and this is the most accurate film on climbing to date. For people who want to know what climbing is really like, this is the film." Look for me!

I still remember when Cliffhanger came out in the theaters. A couple weeks after it was out, I was at work in a climbing shop in Oregon and a guy came in and told me he wanted to buy a 'bolt gun' like the was Stallone had in the movie. I tried hard to keep from laughing.

I wonder what kind of goofballs this new movie is going to lure up into the mountains.

The Eiger Sanction:

It's got Clint Eastward in it.

He did his own stunts, including the fall sequence.

At no point does anyone use a "bolt gun".

Of course like Cliffhanger it's not 100% about climbing but when the competition is that, Vertical Limit and K2 (now there's a movie that really sucked) it's not hard for it to be a clear winner.

Ade

Good call on the Eiger Sanction! That was a good all around movie. I think my favorite part is when he leaves that guy in the desert, and the dog jumps in as Clint is about to drive off (that's what happened, right?).

I think I disagree on K2 though, maybe because I was a younger chap when it came out and I had just read the Last Step by Rick Ridgeway. There was nothing really outrageous about the movie; it was actually pretty accurate for Hollywood. I’m sure I will be torn apart for saying this, but make sure you name a better recent climbing movie when you do.

So since we are talking about movies, the Banff Mountain Film festival will be at the Mountaineers building on 29-30 NOV & 01 DEC 2000. Call 206-284-6310 for Tickets. I’ve been to a few of these the past couple of years, pretty fun, can get long though so bring some snacks.

-Jon

Agree on Eiger Sanction. Clint's the man. It's a little dated, but still a great flick.

I agree that K2 wasn't that bad. At least as Hollywood goes. The opening rock climbing scene was fantastic.

Other climbing films (non-documentary):

Seven Years in Tibet isn't really a clmbing movie, but I thought it was a great film.

Five Days One Summer with Sean Connery was somewhat slow, but faithful to climbing in the Alps in the 30's. Down to the tweeds and hickory shafted axes.

The Climb is supposed to be a very faithful film based on Buhl's climb on Nanga Parbat. I have not seen it, but it apparently takes place entirely on the peak. And many of the shots were done on or near Nanga Parbat itself! Filmed in the mid 80's I think.

I have never seen The White Hell of Pitz Palu, but it's supposed to be very dramatic and a great story about a man whose wife disappears while the two are climbing. (Silent, but narrated, filmed in 1930!).

Cerro Torre: Scream of Stone is supposedly one of Werner Herzog's weakest films, but much of it was shot in Patagonia.

Two fair TV movies were:

Storm and Sorrow. Based on Bob Craig's book of the American team going into the Pamirs in the 70's. Somewhat faithful to the book and actual events. Loved the guy that plays John Roskelley. Made for HBO I think. Not bad.

High Ice. A film in the 80's about rescuers. I never saw this one, but heard it was okay from other climbers.

Here are some of my favorite documentaries (I have about 30 on tape):

Fairweather and Ascent - Jim Wickwire in Alaska. Great footage by Steve Marts.

Eiger, Solo - Eric Jones on the Nordwand. Filmed by Leo Dickenson, the master.

Everest, North Wall - 1982 US team. Marty Hoey's last climb.

Shishipangma - Alex Lowe's last climb.

The Ice Game - Jeff Lowe's history on ice.

Too many other good ones to list.