Talking your way out of a ticket...

snugtop

Got pulled over about two months ago. Cop tells us she pulled us over because we had left the lid for the gas tank open after pulling out of the gas station in Cle Elum. She asks for ID, runs the license, etc. She asks what we're doing and we explain we're out late driving back from a climb. She lets us go, either not noticing or ignoring the fact that my driver didn't have insurance and had expired tabs or license or something important. Talk about lucky.

Got pulled over a few weeks later on the I-5 stretch between Seattle and Everett for going 13 over. Driver just kept it simple, "I'm really sorry; I'll watch my speed more carefully," and we got a warning.

I've never been pulled over while driving, though I only drive a few times a year. Closest I've gotten was having a state patrol car ride my bumper in an effort to coerce me to floor the pedal to pass-on-the-right the mofo traveling too slow in the left lane. I was just about to pull the move when I checked my blind spot and noticed that the car tailing me was a cop car.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years ago when I was still living in Eugene I was in the left turn only lane at a stop light. The exit I wanted to get back onto I-5 was behind me for the opposite flow of traffic so instead of obeying the no u turn sign, I flipped a bitch. A motorcycle stater was in further back in line to turn left also (I didn't see him until I flipped it); once I did see him I just pulled over and waited. 175 bucks! which if you know ticket prices, you know that is the equivalent of being cited for speeding in OR for 15+ miles over the speed limit (this has likely changed as its been 3 years+ since I got a ticket in OR). Normally these types of U turns are allowed; however the cop explained they had seen a number of accidents resulting from someone turning right at the red striking a u turner. Make sense? snugtop.gif

In the 8 years I have had my license I have managed:

1 seatbelt violation

1 u turn (more expensive than speeding! avoid this one!)

4 speeding tickets in OR (stopped 7 times so I was let go on 3)

4 speeding tickets in WA (stopped 5 times so I was let go on 1)

1 warning in CA

1 striking an immovable object (dismissed in court)

2 no proof of insurance (dismissed both times as I was insured)

1 reckless endangerment (dismissed in court... parents: don't let your kids watch Dukes of Hazard reruns... also: as cool as it looks on tv; jumping your 1980's Toyota wagon at the BMX track is not a good idea and it hurts)

I better warn the neigbors to watch out.

I once got pulled over for making a left turn on a yellow....unfortunately I did not have my license on me...I got off just by being honest and saying, "yeah, I wasn't thinking, I should have waited."

Another time I was honest about speeding and it did me no good.

if I drive through a speed trap and see them pull on, I just pull over and wait for them before they ever get there lights on.

d00d. no wonder you have so many tickets. Maybe they would've grabbed somebody else. At least make it take longer to pick you up. That saves the rest of us.

I agree with the polite, friendly and ZERO bullshit approach w/ them. Don't throw out lame excuses either...they have heard'em all and it sounds like more bullshit to them. I also keep the proof of insurance and registration stuff in a zip lock bag so I can find it fast in the glove box.

The last time I got pulled over for speeding was in WA and the cop was cool, I was polite and joked around abit and we ended up shooting the shit about the fishing up in Alaska oddly enough... yellaf.gif No ticket.

Just got pulled over by a trooper on Bluett pass heading over to crag at 11worth on Monday. He let me off.

Try-

*short hair

*no piercings

*when you get pulled over at night, turn on the dome light.

*put one hand on the wheel and the other hanging out the window or both hands on the window if it is cold or raining-never move around in the vehicle.

*look em' in the eye

*take off sunglasses and cap

*drive an American car or perferrably an American pickup

*be polite

* If you are east of the crest, don't have a "coastie" address on your license.

_____

I used to climb with "priapism" a lot in the early 90's-- that dude gets outta everything! He even got let go and scolded for a DUI when I was riding with him on the bleuet cutoff (through the orchard shortcut) after a 11worth climbing and drinking spree. He would get pulled over tons and never get tickets. A dude I work with has been pulled over 11 times and never gotten a ticket.Much of my above advice is from him.

Best thread in a long time.

____

We made it toYosemite in a little over 11 hours once

3 speeding tickets...my dad knows every cop in the damn state madgo_ron.gif so I have never talked my way at out OF SHIT.

1st ticket was for going 45 in a 25 got pulled over in driveway I was 16 and my dad was standing in the driveway laughing. went to to court, only had to pay 1/2 the fine.

2nd ticket was for 300$ I was 18 and I was going 100 in a 55. had there been any other cars arroud i would have been sited with reckless endangerment or some shit, I just sent them the money... they got me and I WAS SPEEDING.

3rd ticket I was 19, doing 45 in a 35, honest mistake, I didn't seen the sign for the change in speed. sent the money.

Hello capitalist!

About a century ago, I was stopped for a serious violation. After the officer gave me a field sobriety test, I advised him if he cited me my career would be ruined cause I wanted to be a state patrolman "just like you". Still remember that guys name.

Thank you fou allow us to post.

1) smile

2) when i leaved east of the cascades, i drove a truck and added an orange road cone in the back. somehow it seemed to lull the cops into thinking i was local instead just another annoying college student. smirk.gif

Riding a motorcycle helps. I was pulled over for doing 85 in a 30 on my bike. the two cops that pulled me over rode as well. They warned me and we BS'ed about bikes for about 30 minutes.

A few months later I was pulled over for doing 40 in the same spot in my Subaru. It was the same cop. Another ticket avoided.

Good luck talking your way out of anything these days. With all of the budget problems the cops are being asked to write more tickets as a form of revenue generation.

I used to climb with "priapism" a lot in the early 90's-- that dude gets outta everything! He even got let go and scolded for a DUI when I was riding with him on the bleuet cutoff (through the orchard shortcut) after a 11worth climbing and drinking spree

Hey Jens, I remember your face when the trooper asked if I was drinking, and I replied something like "You bet!". I seem to recall you mumbling "Oh shit, we're going to jail..." or something along those lines. I have gotten a few tickets here and there, but reckon I've been pulled over somewhere in the range of 40+ times in my driving career, so I figure I'm still batting .900 or so.

Definately say stuff like:

I thought you had to be in relatively good shape to be a police officer....

You're not gonna check the trunk are you?

Hey, that's great! The last officer only gave me a warning too!

Weaving? But officer, I can't even knit