West Ridge of Stuart

sexual_chocolate

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was on Colchuck last weekend and there was still plenty of snow on the south side up high. Colchuck is a mile or so east and north of Stuart but Stuart gets a lot of the same kind of weather. Dragontail, Colchuck and Stuart's tops were all in the clouds most of the weekend. Expect some deep snow up high.

I was in the enchantments last weekend and did the west ridge of prussik. The ridge proper was snow free but there was snow on the ledges on the north side. So I speculate that the west ridge of stuart should be okay but there may be some snow on a ledge or two

the manly way...

I love it when people associate "man" with the harder or more difficult way (and all the implications stemming from this)... good to know misogyny is still rampant. I wonder when "man" will become a synonym for stupid or arrogant…

wave.gif

In regards to the couloir approach; the sooner the better as the melt is on and with each day a few more rocks are poised to let entropy run its course. Once on the ridge you shouldn’t have too much of a problem with snow; there will be a few spots (nothing you can’t handle in tennies). PM me if you have specific questions or would like to see some photos for route finding purposes.

J

Aren't there a bunch of commonly couloirs commonly used to approach the west ridge?

This depends on where you choose to get onto the route. I would recommend starting at goat pass; how you approach goat pass is up to you. Currently the Leavenworth side approach would be faster (and less up and down).

Some people (you can see a few TRs in this forum on this option) will climb Stuart Couloir and then catch the last 5ish (depends on rope length) pitches to the summit. I don't know if SC is still in shape though... kinda getting late for that route.

I know Mtnhigh and Terry McClain on this site have climbed the ridge in its entirety; you might want to pm them if you have specific questions.

Beautiful route; beautiful mountain... enjoy!

I prefered to take the direct route on the rock up from the pass, you climb over a few gendarmes and what not, but since I was there to climb and not walk around in snow(which general is the case) I found it quite enjoyable.

Though from Ingalls lake follow the ridge at or close to the crest instead of dropping down into the basin below saves alot of wasted time.

I'll post 4 pics of Stuart from Ingalls Pass area from this past Fri/Sat (June 4/5). The standard couloir up to the west ridge looked like lots of snow with a few broken sections. Probably lots of thin snow over slabs up there. We didn't get any closer to Stuart than Ingalls Pass though. First two are from Friday evening, second two are from Saturday morning/mid day.

5a1a55b1ece97_357974-Stuart1.jpg.416db8b93ce35f3622bec5803a8bc83f.jpg