BOOKS

MATT_B

I remember seeing a thread a while back on good books to read but I cant seem to find it. Could some one point me in the right direction or give me some recommendations? I'm leaving for a long river trip in a couple of days and need something good to read. Climbing related or not, doesn't matter. I'm looking for something that will stir up the gray matter a bit.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm almost done with No Man Knows My History by Fawn Brodie and trying to break into Jose Saramago's Baltasar and Blimunda. No Man Knows is a beautifully written biography of Joseph Smith. You couldn't make that stuff up, truth being stranger than fiction, but so far, B&B is plenty strange.

William Manchester ruined me for fiction. bigdrink.gif

Encounters with the Archdruid by John McPhee, about a Colorado river trip with James Watt and David Brower. Mcphee is a great writer. The Boat That Wouldn't Float by Farley Mowat is humorous and entertaining.

good water oriented reads, not too tough on the crainium but good books nonetheless.

"Zen and the art of motorcycle maintence"!

makes you want to travel around aimlessly

that book is a piece of shit, the philosophy is halfbaked, and the motorcycle maintenance tips are also seriously flawed (according to what Edward Abbey said - I don't know jacksquat about bike mechanics myself)

If you are doing a desert river trip, "The Monkey Wrench Gang" would be perfect! I think "Desert Solitaire" is better though. Ed Abbey rockband.gif

Maybe try to find a book about the natural history of the area you are going to be in. I love reading about the grand canyon (or whatever) while actually BEING there.