Recommendations for a climb in the Olympics

JoshK

Well, my well laid plans for this week were most gloriously fucked over by a long line of things I should probably go and add to that peeve thread.

Anyway, I have tomorrow off and need to be at my parents on bainbridge island early saturday so I was thinking of doing something in the Olympics. I dont know the area at all, can somebody recommend something? The brothers looked cool, and like a pretty reasonable day trip. I've done Ellinor and Washington and that is about it.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys!

Is it possible to approach Constance from the north /northeast via tunnel creek? There is a road that goes a ways in, but it looks off-trail after that. Would it be brush hell or is there some sort of old tread?

There is an approach from Tunnel Creek. The new revision of the guidebook is going to have a better description of it, and in fact some now consider this the preferred approach. Unfortunately I've only got a copy of it at home, which doesn't help you if you are heading up there tomorrow. Basically go up the Tunnel Creek trail, pass the shelter and instead of crossing the creek and continuing on the maintained trail, continue on up the valley on the north side of the creek. There is a faint way-trail in places. Eventually, after some bushwacking it will open up into a basin. It is from here that memory is failing me, and I need the revised version. I posted a thread a couple months ago about some flagging we discovered behind the shelter. I followed the flagging for maybe 1/2 mile up the ridge. I then asked a reliable "Park Insider" about the flagging, and he told me it indeed is another approach, though I surely cannot vouch for it myself.

If you consider the Constance Pass trail, just remember you've got 4 miles of road to walk or bike extra because of the washout on the Dosi.

There is an approach from Tunnel Creek. The new revision of the guidebook is going to have a better description of it, and in fact some now consider this the preferred approach. Unfortunately I've only got a copy of it at home, which doesn't help you if you are heading up there tomorrow. Basically go up the Tunnel Creek trail, pass the shelter and instead of crossing the creek and continuing on the maintained trail, continue on up the valley on the north side of the creek. There is a faint way-trail in places. Eventually, after some bushwacking it will open up into a basin. It is from here that memory is failing me, and I need the revised version. I posted a thread a couple months ago about some flagging we discovered behind the shelter. I followed the flagging for maybe 1/2 mile up the ridge. I then asked a reliable "Park Insider" about the flagging, and he told me it indeed is another approach, though I surely cannot vouch for it myself.

If you consider the Constance Pass trail, just remember you've got 4 miles of road to walk or bike extra because of the washout on the Dosi.

Thanks John. I was thinking that north side might sport a good ski.