Another Liberty Ridge Accident.

olyclimber

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is in no way meant to trivialize the accident but how does the belayer (below the leader) come to break his wrist while belaying? That's what the ranger lady said happened on TV. Did the leader fall and the belayer's hand get caught at a weird angle? Strange. Maybe, upon the leader's fall, the belayer pitched forward and then broke his wrist when he tried to catch himself.

they always seem to pull everyone they can off even if they aren't injured. for example last time the guy wasn't injured and they still plucked him off the next morning. I think they just want to get everyone out of there as long as they have the choppers in the air.

This is in no way meant to trivialize the accident but how does the belayer (below the leader) come to break his wrist while belaying? That's what the ranger lady said happened on TV. Did the leader fall and the belayer's hand get caught at a weird angle? Strange. Maybe, upon the leader's fall, the belayer pitched forward and then broke his wrist when he tried to catch himself.

it may have been a rockfall induced fall? Sad news indeed. mad.gif

As always, _you_need_to_wait_ to get accurate information. It's pointless to even talk about stuff like belaying etc. Why even speculate? First it was a broken hand. Now someone is dead. You are not getting anything close to reality in live rescue coverage.

The reporting is all over the map on this incident. The aforementioned King5 web article has one climber dead, one climber being flown out with a broken hand. This KIRO web article has one climber with a "broken back being flown out, with the other walking out with a "wrist injury". And then there was the mentioned confusion about the KOMO article. I would expect that the King5 article is probably accurate, expecting the worst....but best to wait to hear the facts from the people who were/are actually involved in the rescue.

The reporting is all over the map on this incident. The aforementioned King5 web article has one climber dead, one climber being flown out with a broken hand. This KIRO web article has one climber with a "broken back being flown out, with the other walking out with a "wrist injury". And then there was the mentioned confusion about the KOMO article. I would expect that the King5 article is probably accurate, expecting the worst....but best to wait to hear the facts from the people who were/are actually involved in the rescue.

The video feed showed the second person being flown out in a cargo net.

This sucks. My condolences to friends and family.

-Loren

Why even speculate? First it was a broken hand. Now someone is dead. You are not getting anything close to reality in live rescue coverage.

Cause we're humans...it's our job. Don't bother complaining about it or fighting it, cause it aint gonna change.

"Ryan Thill of the Pierce County, Wash., Medical Examiner's Office confirmed that one of the two male climbers had died but could not say which one it was. She said she would probably not know until late at night. The names of the two climbers were being withheld until the families were notified."

AP is now updated. One of the climbers did die. RIP.

From the PI: "Mount Rainier National Park spokesman Barry Fraissinet identified the deceased climber as Jon Cahill, a captain with the Auburn Fire Department, and his partner as Bellevue firefighter Mark H. Anderson. Both men were emergency medical technicians."

Fuck. frown.gif

Ditto that.

The Mountain is hungry this year. Be extra cautious out there...

I hope everyone else gets down ok. I know there was at least one other team still up there. Weather going to shit tomorrow night it seems

-Fear

I just read on the AP wire that one of the injured climbers has died. It appears the guy they plucked off the ridge via helicopter was alive and injured, while the other climber, whom Northwest News Channel orginally thought was only slightly injured and was being helped down the mountain, was dead when rescuers arrived.