Another Liberty Ridge Accident.

olyclimber

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Komo link brought up a story about George Tenet's resignation, with Mt Rainier as the location. I understand if he thinks he needs a rescue though...

Bummer about the real deal, wait for more info I guess. I've got a friend headed up there next week.

Cool! According to Komo, Lib Ridge is 12,000ft tall now!

I gotta get on that thing again!

cool.gif

It disturbs me that the media is so incompetent when it comes to reporting simple facts about climbing/mountains/nature. It makes me very suspicious of all the other "facts" they relate.

Is there any more info on what happened? All the articles say is climbers injured rescue in progress.

And with Tenet, this has to be some kind of record for the number of high level government officials who have "Retired" when Bush was suddenly in the hotseat.

From our little jaunt up to Thumb Rock last week I was thinking of that foot or more of snow that must have fallen in the meantime up there. The entire route left of the pyramid looked like glare ice. 12"+ of snow + 50 degree glare ice...... Yikes.... We were also postholing 20" or so with every step where it wasn't ice. Damn that'd be slow going...

Hope it works out ok for them....

-Fear

I will pass your comments along, but they carry much more weight if everyone who has a complaint sends an individual e-mail to us to complain about the policy. The web folks and Station Manager are monitoring how many e-mails they get about this and based on that, they could decide to revise the policy.

You can send an e-mail to newstips@king5.com and it will get forwarded to the folks who make the decisions about the website registation process...

A thought -- if you were involved on an accident on LibRidge and were awaiting rescue, would you get annoyed at the news heli swirling around you all morning? What about when you need to take a piss? Block out the heli and the fact that millions may be watching?

Maybe a stupid question, but I noticed in the video from the last rescue, as well as this one, that there is a lot of snow blowing around. I imagine it is from the copter. Wouldnt this bother the climbers and affect their visibility?

And ya, Gary...Altho interesting, I think it would bother me a bit knowing that my accident is the source of someones entertainment.

hmmmmmmm

Maybe a stupid question, but I noticed in the video from the last rescue, as well as this one, that there is a lot of snow blowing around. I imagine it is from the copter. Wouldnt this bother the climbers and affect their visibility?

I can't say if our presence blows snow around, but I can say that our helicopter is a good distance away from any climbing rescue scene. We have an amazing zoom lens and can be up to 5 miles away from an incident and still get pretty good pics of the scene.

So if I hd to guerss, I'd say that it is NOT our helicopter blowing snow, but rather conditions themselves...but I could be wrong...

We try to stay out of the way and we certainly try not to make conditions worse than they already are!

mmmmmm

No news copter pilot in his right mind would be close enough to Rainier to stir up squat.

Now the actual Chinook or whatever copter has to pluck them off will certainly stir it up. Just the wash alone from a big copter can trigger avalanches in the right conditions.

-Fear

Man that sucks what the hell is going on. Lately there seem to be a lot of accidents happening.

Well, to each his own. But I chose not to climb Rainier in these conditions due to the buildup of snow with no significant consolidation period. But I am a lightweight.

You must understand how powerful the camera is on the bottom of that jetranger. The people on the mountain may not even be aware they are on television.

The media usually seem quite accomodating to the people involved with a rescue. There are, of course, the bad apples in the bunch.

So, how long until the first mention in the media of Liberty Ridge - the DEATH ROUTE where CLIMBERS GO TO DIE