Flash vs Onsight

selkirk

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A flash is when someone gives you beta for the climb, or you watch someone else climb it, then lead it clean on your first try.

An onsite is also leading it clean on your first try, but without beta, or watching another climber.

i thought a flash was a clean first climb regardless of whether you were leading it or following it. confused.gif is there a different word for that?

Flash in the pan? grin.gif

Actually, for TR I think it's just, "Nice job." Ya gotta lead to call it a flash. Though I'll call a clean first-time TR at the gym a flash to keep my ego puffed up. Phew, enough qualifiers there? cantfocus.gif

http://climb.mountainzone.com/glossary_a_l.html

TR Flash! LOL that's a good one.

Really? So what do you call a no-falls, first-go ascent on TR? Does the term "TR Flash" somehow give more credit to the ascent than saying "climbed it with no falls, first try, on TR"? Seems kind of logical to employ a term that climbers always use for "climbed it with no falls, first try" to convey just that, and to combine it with some other easily-conveyed specifics about the ascent, i.e. "TR". Why should "climbed it with no falls, first try" mean something different if a TR is involved? It's not as if someone who hears "TR Flash" is going to mistake your ascent for regular old flash on the sharp end.

boxing_smiley.gif

if someone TR a climb clean then that's it.. "good job" what do ya want a "flash" badge to sew to your lettermans jacket?

Or do you want a "hardcore because we're too stubborn to call a spade a spade in an effort to distance ourselves from possibly being called less than hardcore by the semantics police" badge for yours? rolleyes.gif

[quote

Or do you want a "hardcore because we're too stubborn to call a spade a spade in an effort to distance ourselves from possibly being called less than hardcore by the semantics police" badge for yours? rolleyes.gif

a semantics lesson by someone worried about being called a DR. LOL what a freaking joke! wink.gif

a spade is a spade.. yet a flash is not a TR Flash now is it?

the original poster wanted opinion on what the difference is between onsite and flash...

in our crew that is what we reserve the words for..

if you use the word to describe your TR adventures in your crew, then so be it.. i really dont care.. only I'll probably fall on the ground laughing my ass off if I heard ya. bigdrink.gif

it's all good fun.

Onsite snaf.gif

The old get-on-the-internet-and-spray-about-how-lame-people-are-for-not-climbing-when-you-could-be-out-climbing gambit, eh?

Brilliant! yellaf.gif

Maybe that was a little rude of me but jeez... to spend time arguing about "TR flashes" and shit. Come on. I'll admit, though, I am reading it. cantfocus.gif