meanwhile, in a gun-toting utopia...

ashw_justin

You could start with keeping your dogs on a leash and not rushing people with loaded guns.

And banning people from getting back to nature... strapped.

Man, how many times do I have to say it! The dog owner obviously screwed up, and he paid for it, indeed.

OK I'm outta crap to say so someone else can play moonbat now...

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a guy road rage on me one time and he knew I had a gun. He came anyway and I let him off the hook. It all boils down to discretion and comfort level. The only time I'm going to skin my smoke wagon is if the life of one of my family members is threatened or I'm in dire peril of losing my own life. That's here playing by these rules though.

but do you approve of my carrying today? huh? tongue.gif

No way man you can take cougar with your bare hands can't you? yellaf.gif

Well if you're gonna go out and kill stuff in the woods, sometimes the woods kill you back.

]

huh... well i guess I could be a good 'merican and die from eating cheeseburgers. I think I will take my chances with the cougars and bears... and that is why I will continue to pack.

I'm not sure what some guy shooting another one unjustifiably has anything to do with gun control. Shooing some guy cause his dogs go raging is not a justifiable murder.

Aruging that you should be able to shoot somebody for this along with aruging pro-gun stance just makes your motives look pretty perverse.

I think it's pretty funny that for a long time now people bitch about out-of-control dogs and threaten to kill dogs and some tough guy or sensitive dog lover responds with, "you should shoot the owner, not the dogs, it wasn't their fault, blah blah blah". So now someone has! And so now, you tough sensitive dog-lover types can respond with, "you should shoot the owner, like that nut in Arizona, blah blah blah"

Once you have drawn a gun on a man (or his dogs, apparently) you'd better pray that he backs down. If he challenges, and approaches you in spite of his clear and present knowlege that he risks being shot, then you cannot risk losing the gun under any circumstances. You have no choice but to shoot him. Unfortunately, it was you who produced the weapon... perhaps unnecessarily. You need to keep your cards hidden until they are really needed. This is why guns should remain consealed and not brandished unless absolutely necessary.

A sad situation akin to road rage. The guy should have shot the dogs, not the owner. Better yet, walked the opposite direction.

As for the statement that firearms should be banned from government land; get real! I think millions of hunters would be a bit upset, and my right to self defense does not end at the doorstep of "government" land. (Including National Parks, IMO,BTW)

Its amazing how animals can sense people they dont like or trust, my dog is hella friendly with nearly everyone...once in awhile she'll express anger or distrust of someone...then she either ignores em or get all uppity.

I leash my pup all the time and you would be amazed how many folks thank me for respecting the leash law. I remember one incidence of hiking on the trail to Rachel lake, a fellow we passed told us there were dogs ahead...sure enough three med to big (Sheperd/Rotts)unleashed with their owners trying to restrain the obviously very AGGRO animals from coming after us. I was FUCKING pissed at how ignorant and rude these folks were, they seemed pissed we disturbed their hike and made them break a sweat holding back their dogs.

Peeve: Overreactive fucks with guns and stupid Ass dog owners. thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifhellno3d.gif

Great post Fairweather. The dude probably shouldn't have taken the gun out, but you would think if someone gives you and your hommies a warning shot and you keep comming, you are gonna get lit up.

Yeah, and firing "warning shot" at people for no reason is also illegal. Last time I checked you can't just go capping off shots as you see fit.

I'd leave the gun rights argument out of this one...I think the issue is the "self defense" argument is bullshit. Whether the guy was a legal gun owner or a thug carrying illegally doesn't matter to me...what matters is he shot somebody cause his dogs got out of control on a hike.

I hate it when people's fucking dogs run up to me in the wilderness. I'm there for a wilderness experience and frankly would not run into others, let alone have their dogs come jump on me. Despite my dislike for this I hardly feel like I can blow away the dogs or the owner.

Yeah, and firing "warning shot" at people for no reason is also illegal.

He didn't fire the warning shot at the guy... once again, you have failed to read the article josh... Geek_em8.gif

Scott, I wasn't referring to the article, I was directly responding to your post, ya idiot. rolleyes.gif

The guy should have had the dogs on a leash but to get shot over it? The danger in carrying a weapon on you is just this type of incident. Conflits used to get solved in different manners. Now it's easy to just start firing away. A friend of a friend carries a gun when he goes hiking all the time. WTF, for what I asked? Well you never know who you'll run into out there. I guess so.

I'm old enough to remember the Bernard Goetz case (no dogs here). Bernie endures harrassment and attack until one day he gets fed up and strikes back. Kills one of his attackers with a gunshot. The public hails him as a hero though he used vigilante justice (whatcha gonna do when the cops aren't there to protect ya?).

Well, it turns out that the power goes to his head and Bernie begins to indiscriminately use his newly found power to administer his own justice. Bad...

Just goes to show that a firearm gives the individual the power to preserve and to take life but this power has to be used wisely. Sometimes, the situation does not allow decisions to be made with coolly reasoned thought. Seems the defender had to rely on a snap judgment--"I assess that the charging dog owner is now the bigger threat to my well being."

Sad...

Yeah, and firing "warning shot" at people for no reason is also illegal.

He didn't fire the warning shot at the guy... once again, you have failed to read the article josh... Geek_em8.gif

Scott, I wasn't referring to the article, I was directly responding to your post, ya idiot. rolleyes.gif

Hey Cheif wink.gif I never said that did I? That is why I tossed in the lovely 'homies' part. ta ta fer now! wave.gif

Everyone should check out:

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/publishers/wildernesspress/trailsafe/trailsafe.htm

I read the articles a few years ago and think it's valuable info. I've run into more excentric whack jobs in the mountains than I ever have in Seattle.

I can e-mail a version I downloaded into MSWORD if you send me a PM with your address.

Where you been hikin' boy?? wink.gif

I think a nicely planted ice tool would do a real number on somebody. shocked.gif

Everyone should check out:

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/publishers/wildernesspress/trailsafe/trailsafe.htm

I read the articles a few years ago and think it's valuable info. I've run into more excentric whack jobs in the mountains than I ever have in Seattle.

I can e-mail a version I downloaded into MSWORD if you send me a PM with your address.

Where you been hikin' boy?? wink.gif

I think a nicely planted ice tool would do a real number on somebody. shocked.gif

Try Alaska... or for that matter anywhere in Washington. If you think you are not prone to an attack you are mistaken. I have been within 8 feet of a blackie in the MRNP and wish I was packing then. cantfocus.gif Got the video too... kinda shakey though... cheeburga_ron.gif

Oh... by the way... I carried my piece into forest lands today. Cought some really nice cutties and didn't really feel like lugging them back to the trailhead in a cougar infested area...

Scott Harpell --You carry a gun when you go trout fishing in the backcountry because you think a cougar is going to attack you if you carry fish on the trail?

I'm sorry pal, but you are truly a moron.

Oh... by the way... I carried my piece into forest lands today. Cought some really nice cutties and didn't really feel like lugging them back to the trailhead in a cougar infested area...

Scott Harpell --You carry a gun when you go trout fishing in the backcountry because you think a cougar is going to attack you if you carry fish on the trail?

I'm sorry pal, but you are truly a moron.

How many times do you think you can do this your lifetime and not let luck catch up to you? I hvae done this near 15 times this month. I also do it for a living... I think my exposure level is a little bit more involved than some climber at smith rocks toting luna bars.