Nike Air Cinder Cone

layton

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah! I got some and they rock, for rock climbing. I have slogged through snow in them too. They're OK, but get soaky pretty damn quick.

My experience is a bit complicated. I ended up getting them a bit small and it turns out this makes them really great for rock climbing. In fact I don't really notice much of a difference from my rock shoes, but I haven't really tried them on harder (> 5.8) stuff. This does make them a bit uncomfortable on long hikes though; i.e., probably giving myself irrecoverable foot damage doing stuff like N Ridge of Stuart in them. tongue.gif

But anyway, I like 'em. Heard they're expensive though. I got 'em on sale at the employee store, so I wouldn't know.

edit: oh yeah, and every old skool guy I ever head out into the mountains with comments that they look just like some mythical Nike approach shoe from back in the day that were so indestructible that Nike stopped makin' 'em cause the market was too small for a shoe that people only needed one pair ever of.

Edited by chucK

I know the mythical shoe you are refering too. Think it was the Air Exum or something like that.

Chuck, if I got them the correct size, how would they handle a 10mile hike?

I have a Team Nike ACG thing goin' on, so it wouldn't cost me more than cost.

Buy Nike!

the mythical shoe was the lava dome.

I played rugby in Domes. Only on really shitty pitches such as the glass and gravel strewn ones on Randall's Island in Manhattan and semi-frozen New England ones in November. grin.gif

Apparently they still sell the shoe in the UK and a limitied edition model stateside. Those shoes lasted a while.

Lava Dome, Cinder Cone interesting....

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they'd do fine. I've done ten mile hikes in 'em. Just bugged my feet sometimes. Course, I don't have a history of broken feet. They seem like they'd be really comfy if they were big enough.

They seem to be showing no sign of wear, and I used 'em pretty hard last season.

A super solid high steel rigging boot!

Quite a few of the riggers here in Vegas wear NACC's

You can safely hang from your ankles at high steel without fear of ankle slippage.

The semi flat soles ensure that the errant bolt or conduit will not trip you up as you walk the low steel.

• 2 weeks later...

Nike's are cool. We use to skate in Vandal's and it seems like I've used their hiking shoes all my life due to a family connection (though a recent retirement put an end to that). Never had any problems, so I wouldn't hesitate to get anything Nike, especially at cost. The lineage of the Lava and Cinder Cone's go back to the 80's if I remember correctly.

I just want to say though, that this model looks really gay:

acc.jpg

- a s s m * n k e y

I love Air Cinder Cones. I guide in them all the time and have worn through several pair. Two summers ago I walked into the Winds in mine and then discovered that I had forgotten my rock shoes!!! I spent a week climbing up to easy 5.10 in them and then walked back out. Best all around shoe I have ever had. Really beat the Sportiva Boulder hands down. Even better than my old Kronhoeffers from 1973. Sadly I think Nike may have discontinued them so snag a pair if you find them.

Scott