Lightweight hardshell

Jim

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just bought a vintage K-Way nylon anorak at value village for like $4.95. it's gonna be my new lightweight hardshell for speed alpine ascents. talk about retro i had a k-way knockoff when i started mountaineering in 1985 yellaf.gif

Hey Dru, I still have, and regularly use, that red nylon Kmart special that I got in the early 90s. Feels like tissue paper now, and it has faded to rose-pink, but still does the job. Best $12 I ever spent!

But to really make it work, you have to wear it Guy Edwards style...no polypro or anything underneath it.

I have an Arcteryx Beta AR that I love. Just recently, I looked at replacing it with something lighter. I bought the Sirrus SL from REI outlet.

HOWEVER, when I got the Sirrus, I promptly returned it. First off, the fit wasn't perfect. My Beta is a L which fits me generously enough to layer, but still doesn't look "too big". The Sirrus in a L (the only size on sale) was a bit to large. I think a M would have fit better.

Second, it weighed in at 14oz, only 6 less than my Beta. That, in conjunction with the fact that my Beta is in perfect shape and wouldn't cost me $175 led me to return the Sirrus immediately. It also didn't look like it would hold up nearly as well as the Beta that I have.

Here's what my ideal layering system would be if I had the money for it right now: I'd get a nice softshell jacket and then a light hardshell (probably a sirrus) to wear only when things get really nasty. I'd have less problem carrying a less durable shell when I know that I have a softshell that will handle most everything.

Edited by munckee

• 3 weeks later...

I have both Arc'teryx, Sirius and Theta. The Theta does take a beating a bit better but if weather is only questionable, I always throw in my Sirius. It packs smaller, weights less and has taken a fair amount of abuse. I just got the Patagonia Dragonfly and while it is really light weight, I don't think it will hold up long to the abuse I put on my equipment.

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed that the Theta is combination of Gore Paclite and XCR and the Sirrus is made of Paclite. Compared to the Marmot Precip, which has better breathability and waterproofness?

Also, any opinions on Mountain Hardwear:

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/www/action/catalog/DisplayStyle?id=346

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/www/action/catalog/DisplayStyle?id=554

Edited by gotnoname

Nothing keeps you dry in nasty weather. Precip vs Goretex, waterproofness is irrelevant. Both will keep you less wet than a non 'waterproof' fabric. Gtex will breathe a bit better, but I doubt you'll notice it in the field. Choose a jacket for its cut and features.