Where's those Montana types?

ketch

I just got an invite for a trip to Montana. An old friend has taken up climbing and wants me to come visit. He says that there are some nice walls on a Mesa just outside Billings where he lives. I don't remember seeing any (wasn't really lookin last time I was there). Anyone know of stuff out that way and what is it?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, the mesa is known as The Rims. I grew up in Billings, and can't count the number of drug-induced underage drinking teenage angst with more than a touch of boredom fueled climbing epics up there. It's sandstone -- the kind that crumbles in your hands. It's a wonder I didn't die up there. But that was at a time before I used gear. There might be something cool up there . . . it's been a long time. The mountains, though! Why waste your time in the trashcan of Billings when the Rockies (and so much else) are right there?

One word: Beartooths!

After 30 years in Montana I would recommend the following in this order. Sawtooths in Idaho. Bitterrots in MT if you are focusing on rock climbing as apposed to alpine granite. And the Beartooths if you want alpine granite.

There is good climbing southwest of Bozeman, in Gallatin Canyon- multipitch trad close to the road. If you're looking for some more adventurous climbing, go check out Blodgett Canyon, about 40 miles south of Missoula. There are some pretty wild routes up there. Have fun!

If you are in Billings, East Rosebud Canyon on the North Side of the Beartooths is probly the best place to go for Alpine Granite. Ther are lots of long routes and endless untapped potential. Plus it's just an amazing canyon, even for just a day hike. There are good climbs pretty close to the Parking lot. Check out the Montana Alpine Climbing Guide by Ron Bronkhorst, they used to have it at Feathered Friends and Vertical world.

If you are in Billings, East Rosebud Canyon on the North Side of the Beartooths is probly the best place to go for Alpine Granite. Ther are lots of long routes and endless untapped potential. Plus it's just an amazing canyon, even for just a day hike. There are good climbs pretty close to the Parking lot. Check out the Montana Alpine Climbing Guide by Ron Bronkhorst, they used to have it at Feathered Friends and Vertical world.

Yeah, East Rosebud in the 'tooths is a damn fine recomendation. Especially if you are a little short on time. One of the most gorgeous valleys you are likely to see, for sure. How long are you going to be in MT, Ketch? There is a ton of great stuff in Beartooth area to climb/hike/fish if you've got the time. I spent an entire summer doing nothing but backpacking, fly fishing and some fun peak bagging there. Drop me a PM if you need some more info...It's a great spot! fruit.gif

Thanks for all the good beta. I am hoping to get over their in the next week or two probably for a couple days. I also may stoppng there later this fall. Kinda cool this good friend knew I was a climber but he was never into it, never took up any of my invites. So I he moves and I don't hear from him for a long time, then I get this call that he is starting to climb loves it and wants me to come visit. I'm makin up a trip to do ??? then hope to get back soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Lambone and Griz. you was right. I just got back from a visitto my friends. We were short on time (too much gabbin not enough climbin) He is really new at climbs of any kind. We spent a couple days in Rosebud Canyon. Did the Ramp on east Rosebud one day and a couple routes on Double Book Dome the next. We made a trip to The Rim also, JK you wern't kiddin about crumbly rock.

Oh well great trip to see old friends, couple easy routes for fun and a pleasant stop at Peshastin for eats and a little "stretchin" on the way back. Great trip. Thanks again for the beta.

I think I'm goin end of Oct. but I imagine Rosebud going to have snow by then but not enough ice to have anything in. I may just hike or do some alpine stuff then. Beautiful area

Stone Hill on the eastern shore of Lake Koocanusa (NW Montanta) has an unbelievable amount of high quality quartzite (bullet hard, edgy climbing). Grades range from 5.5 to 5.13+ (don't know if it's been sent or is still project). Mostly single pitch, trad & sport climbing, although the hardness of rock makes drilling holes a bitch, so the sport climbs definately feel "sporty"! Also, bouldering everywhere. Killer camping and awesome windsurfing/kiteboarding on the lake.