Dannyism?

pope

Heard a guy say he had done Mt. Si with a 60-pound pack in 1 hour 57 minutes. Does that seem reasonable? Is this another Dan - story? He doesn't describe himself as a hiker but in the last 70 days decided to get in shape for a big hill.

I've never carried a big load on Si so I'm not sure what to think.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He gave a major plug for Feathered Friends on his show today. Look for a bunch of KVI people walking around the Eastside in full down suits. fruit.gif

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

Maybe John will get a chance to catch one of those glorious sunrises from 14000 feet, where mighty Tahoma casts her shadow down across all of that clear-cut ugliness outside the park. Maybe John will finally grasp the idea of wilderness and change his view on ANWR. Maybe Big Lou will beat some alpine sense into his greedy little bible-thumpin' head.

That doesn't sound too extreme. You can do it in less than an hour fairly easily with a fast hike. I can't imagine twice the time with a big pack is too hard for somebody in shape.

I've been meaning to ask about times up Si- I'm trying to get my sorry, lethargic ass back in shape. What is a respectable time up the old trail, say to the little clearing in the trees just past the boulders, not to the top of the Ghayperstack? Under an hour is fast in my book, with all the switchbacks.

That doesn't sound too extreme. You can do it in less than an hour fairly easily with a fast hike. I can't imagine twice the time with a big pack is too hard for somebody in shape.

rolleyes.gif Josh, I ran up it last year (wthout a pack) and only managed 56 mins. The record is 39 mins I believe. I'm no slouch either. I've run sub 15 mins for 5K. I disagree that you can hike up easily in less than an hour.

I think it's closer to 3k or even 3,500k. When I say hike, gowans, I mean a speed hike. I didn't mean your average trail hike speed. I've done it, so I certainly know it's possible. I guess I shouldn't have made it sound like a walk in the park, it's not, but it's certainly within reason. Doing nearly twice the time with a big pack is certainly doable. I was simply backing up the fact that I doubt the dude was lying.

Edited by JoshK

I totally agree that it's easy to get up with a 60lb pack in less than 2 hrs. I agree that hiking quickly can get you up in 1hr 15 or so. Getting up in less than an hour is a different proposition and I'd be willing to put money on there being maybe a handful of people on this site being capable of that...I doubt I am one of those just now smile.gif