mt adams lost camera

gotnoname

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thank Dean.

tomtom, not sure what you're trying to say. But if you want to know my route I'll try my best. It was my first time there so I hope my description is accurate.

We had to park about 3.2 miles before cold springs campground. To get to the campground it was a mixture of skinning and hiking because of patchy snow. This was a ski-mountaineering trip. I believed we camped around 7200 ft. The next day we went for the summit. Near the false summmit I dropped my camera down the main face of the false summit and watch it roll down to a set of rocks and disappear. The rocks I speak of were skier's right of the slope.

I think what TomTom's trying to say is you might be able to entice hoards of potential searchers up that route if you tell everyone that route is in ideal shape and the corn is ready for harvest.

One time I dropped my digi camera off the N Ridge on Broken Top. madgo_ron.gif As I watched in horror, it rolled off a cliff, bounced down a scree slope and slid accross a snowfield, finally coming to rest in some rocks about 600 feet below. I was pissed but the camera was in a padded leather case and I figured at least the flash cards would be salvagable. I rapped down, got the thing, and to my amazement, it still worked! I still use it today. fruit.gif

Sometimes it pays to be a cheap bastard.

I climbed to the lunch counter (~9000') yesterday. Adams is encased in a sheath of ice from 8000' to at least 9500' and we didn't see any reason why the rest wouldn't be the same mess. The stuff is so bulletproof ski crampons don't get purchase without stomping, you'd need a hammer to get a self-belay and self-arrest is equally feasible on bare concrete. We guessed that it got nice and soft, then was hit with a whole lot of rain (we certainly did...), and then froze solid overnight - repeat for a couple of cycles and you get the water ice-type of snow slope we found up there.

Sorry about the non-enticement of hordes of potential searchers.

Would you mind posting a little bit about the conditions you had? I'm curious...