Black Diamond Shadow 55

Chad_A

Well, I splurged; since I'm a "short torso" person, the small version of the Chernobyl (Cold Cold World) just wasn't cutting it for overnight trips, at 2500-2600 ci.

As a last minute decision/need for a multi-day trip to the Stuart area, I picked up the BD Shadow 55. Touted as a "one size fits all", I loaded 45 lbs in the store, and carried it around. For a ~3 lb. pack, it carried it well. Took it home, and called the decision done.

The mags complain about the buckles being difficult to operate with cold hands, or with gloves on. True, but not impossible. I didn't have that hard of a time, with either scenarios. The pack is supportive, and the cords that lash the ice tools on aren't as bad as reviewed; the sliders hardly slipped, if at all. The crampon attachments are on par; in fact, the buckles are the same as what's on my Chernobyl.

Waterproofness was proven, as the rain moved in on Saturday after climbing NBC on Colchuck. Everything stayed as dry as was reasonably possible. The lid can stow lots of stuff, but doesn't have an under-pocket, as some packs do, on the bottom of the lid. The pass-through for a hydration bladder is nice, as well. The shoulder straps and waist belt are good, and non-intrusive, but the sternum strap SUCKS. This is where the "one size fits all" is challenged. Riding up high, the sternum strap is able to slide right off the special bar that it slides up and down on, and twice on the approach, it came off. What the hell...there's nothing wrong with a standard sternum strap setup, so that's exactly what I put on; REI sells an OR sternum strap kit that works fine for $6.50.

I like the fact that ice clippers slip into the waist belt, but I like the gear loop/holster that's on my Chernobyl better; much more versatile. Another thing that needs to be changed is a removable bivy pad; the thin one that comes with is sewn in.

Needs some fine tuning, but it's a worthy pack for the price point. The janky features that it comes with are eclipsed by the fact that a 3.5 pound pack can carry a good amount of weight without a problem, and with an excellent amount of waterproofness at a retail price of 179 bucks. Not a horrible deal.

There you go; I might write some more after Rainier. That should give it a good go, if nothing else. Hope this helps someone out.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got the 45. I went with the smaller one cause it can carry way more than 45 with minimal extension. One huge plus is this tihng carries skis awesome even tho it wasn't really designed as a ski pack. the tails slide beneath the bottom compression strap (protected by hypalon) so you can still lash stuff to the side with the strap. It's an awesome setup for attaching skis and boots to the pack to reduce width over the stupid boots in teh ski arrangement.