Spare change you moron?!!!

ChocChick

Okay, I am seriously getting sick and f-ing tired of being asked for spare change every goddamn time I leave the office. Truth of the matter is that I can't spare change because I am one of those poor suckers who lives paycheck to paycheck because I have started my "career" over and am the bottom of the salary range for what I do.

Yesterday some screwball approached me with some sob story about his car being stuck on the bridge because he ran out of gas and no one would take his Canadian currency. He told me he was respectable and worked at MicroSoft in Canada. You shoulda seen this guy! He was wearing some old man leisure slacks, a funky golf sweater and a visor. At a quick glance he may have looked respectable but the open sores on his face and rotting teeth gave him away.

Everyone has some f-ing sob story about why they need my spare change. Hell, even I have my own sob story as to why I need MY spare change! Anyways, anyone have a clever and effective retort I can use on these people?

boxing_smiley.gif

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just ignore them. Just because they're homeless doesn't mean you have to recognize their existence. I ignore all sorts of people all day.

Why should I give money to people when it's well known that at least 70% of them have substance abuse problems? I'm not helping them, I'm hurting them. I once saw this guy with this huge wad of hundreds and twenties. I think he had more money that I did!

I agree in helping the downtroden but there are much better ways to do it then handing out spare change. Give to charity, support shelters, job creation programs, drug treatment help, etc.

I'm sorry if it's mean to the homeless people who really are looking to better themselves but I am not going to take the risk that I am feeding some fuckstick's alcohol or crack problem.

One time I said, "Do you take credit cards?" ...The guy said, "Sure, I'll take your credit card!" Being a wise ass backfired on me.

Another time I saw a guy on an off-ramp holding a sign that said "Homeless - need money for alcohol (At least I'm honest)" ...I didn't give him any money either.

If I am feeling froggy I reply "I work too hard for my money to just give it away."

Funniest thing I saw was a punk carrying a sign that said "Insult the street punk" with a pricelist. $1 for insults concerning his appearance; $5 for using profanity.

Most of the time in my mind I want to say 'get a fucking job'. A direct "no" works and whatever you do don't make eye contact. At least I have to give a little credit for the ones who beat the pavement and go asking people for money. The ones that really get me are the one with the sign, their to lazy to even ask. I feel bad for all the ones that have some sort of mental disorder, like guy I saw yesterday beating the hell out of himself.

"Spare change?" Is not a question. If they mean "Do you have any change you could spare me?" then the above is not a lie. If they mean "Do you have spare change on your person?" then the above is indeed a lie, but then all you have to say is "yes". I prefer to scowl and push by. fruit.gif

The title of this thread reminds me of the last shithead who panhandled me. He politely asked me for some money, I said "no, I don't have any to give you"....and then he started verbally abusing me. I assume he was just insane, so I laughed at him and walked off...but this has happened to me more than once. Usually it is the 'Ave Rat' sort. rolleyes.gif