Trip Idea

wscottf

Hey all, I need some help in planning a climbing trip to the Cascades. I've lived in Seattle all my life, but recently moved to Ketchum, Idaho. Well, I'll be back in town the first weekend of June and want to climb something.

Do you think the following trip would be possible to do in two-three days:

Friday night - hike into Dragontail Peak

Saturday morning - Climb Dragontail via the fin (carrying overnight gear)

Saturday afternoon - hike over to Prussik Peak

Sunday morning - climb Prussik SF

Sunday afternoon - hike out (and if we're superfast, blaze up Outerspace)

Sunday evening - pick up the car at the other trailhead, drink beers at Uncle Uli's

Well, what do you think, is it in the realm of possibility? It's either that or Liberty Ridge.

Thanks for the help

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds good to me. I've done Prussik in a day and a half from the trailhead. Just get an alpine start on Dragontail. It could be getting a bit late for a Liberty Ridge attepmt given how fast the snow is going this year. Best of luck. bigdrink.gif

My guess is that you're more likely to get acceptable weather for your Dragontail/Prussik trip than LR. It'd be pretty lame to go to Rainier, pay the $30 a head climbing fee and the entry fee, and sit there on the Carbon glacier for two days wondering if the weather is going to clear.

Even if it's kind of overcast or socked in, there's plenty of stuff to scramble and climb around Colchuck Lake and the Enchantments. Plus it's further east, so it's less likely to be actually precipitating.

On the other hand, the Naches Tavern does have awfully good milkshakes.

Totally doable...in fact, the whole thing is doable in a day if you really wanna haul ass.

If you know how to bivy (translation: really light) then I think you'll have a much more pleasent time. It's a great area, and as Tom said, you'll have a much better shot with the weather.

I would maybe do it the other way. Hike in via Snow Lakes Friday night, much brutal of a hike, climb SF of Prussik on Saturday, move camp into upper Enchantments or to Colchuck Lake, climb Backbone Ridge on Sunday and then decend out of the Stuart Lake and catch a ride to your car from the trailhead. Granted that leaves out Outerspace, but I'd be happy with ticking Prussik and Dragontail and the Snow Creek Wall is like rolleyes.gif. HAve fun! bigdrink.gif

Hey all, I need some help in planning a climbing trip to the Cascades. I've lived in Seattle all my life, but recently moved to Ketchum, Idaho. Well, I'll be back in town the first weekend of June and want to climb something.

Do you think the following trip would be possible to do in two-three days:

Friday night - hike into Dragontail Peak

Saturday morning - Climb Dragontail via the fin (carrying overnight gear)

Saturday afternoon - hike over to Prussik Peak

Sunday morning - climb Prussik SF

Sunday afternoon - hike out (and if we're superfast, blaze up Outerspace)

Sunday evening - pick up the car at the other trailhead, drink beers at Uncle Uli's

Well, what do you think, is it in the realm of possibility? It's either that or Liberty Ridge.

Thanks for the help

I'm not sure how it is so easy for folks to generate an answer to your question over the internet. As JoshK pointed out, it may be feasible for some to complete your objective in a day (brutal) but far more only complete Backbone in your allotted time frame. You know your and your partners abilities better than us and could answer the question more acurately.

Good luck!

bigdrink.gif

I see that some here say "it's feasible" to climb Backbone, South Face, and Outer Space in a short weekend. I guess they are right, but I don't think there are very many climbers around that could actually pull this off. That would be an awesome weekend, though. Good luck!