Mt. Jeff Approach

cicleclimb

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drove to within about 2 miles of the whitewater trailhead in early april before I was stopped by snow. Walked the rest of the way to the trailhead. At that time there was at least a couple of feet on the road when you topped outbefore the trailhead. I don't think there were any windfalls other than one that's already been cut at the beginning of the road. Hard to say about the snow now though.

• 2 weeks later...

I was there last Thursday-Friday. The road is clear all the way to the Whitewater trailhead. Patchy snow on the trail until close to the Jeff Park area, mostly snow-covered from there on up.

On route, I would suggest staying to the left side of the Jefferson Park glacier and skirting underneath the Mohler Tooth to the bergschrund-- we took a more direct route to the base of the tooth and my partner punched an entire leg through the snow into a hidden hole.

There was a snow bridge crossing the 'schrund just to climber's right of the tooth on Friday but things were melting fast. Be cautious with the hot temps forecast later this week.

We got a really late start because of bad weather Friday morning and ended up turning around at the bergschrund after watching the constant flow of rock and ice pouring down from above. The upper ridge and summit pinnacle seemed to be holding a decent amount of snow and the route looked to be in good shape from what I could tell. I'd suggest leaving camp by 4AM so that you get past the upper mountain and are back on the glacier before things get melting too much up high.

Had a really fun 3000'+ ride down-- I think it's worth hauling skis or a board if you don't mind the extra weight.

My digital camera ended up with a severely fogged lens due to the early weather, so the only photos we got were from my partner's disposable camera. We should have those back on Thursday so I may be able to post or send you some photos before you leave.

Once we got above the clouds the scenery was breathtaking--- definintely a cool route that I will attempt again. Have fun, be safe, and good luck!