Permit for Enchantments

nolanr

Okay, here's the deal. A buddy of mine got invited along w/ some acquantainces who won the lottery and have permits into the Enchantments for several days next week. I'm going to try to join them, get a day of permit at the Ranger Station. I called today, it sounds like it's pretty much of a crap shoot, especially as you get closer to the weekend. So I'm kinda curious [Roll Eyes] ...if I don't have a permit and I head up there anyway and camp w/ the guys who do have permits, what's the likelihood any backcountry Forest Freddies are going to be prowling around up there looking at everyone's permits. Caveman, you've been up there quite a bit, have you ever had any problems w/ this sort of thing?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nolanr,

I have never seen a ranger back there past 5 miles. I recommend the Snow Creek trail. Also recommend bivying away from the trail more than 400 meters or so. They WILL TICKET YOU. is all I can say. If you want specifics send me an email (rayborbon@hotmail.com). I feel more comfortable relaying good info personally for various reasons. Beta is good and they never fill their quoats anyway. Half the people leave and never make it all the way back there..........

Either way chances are that you will not be bothered...

Also- watch as you come out of the trail into the Snow Creek Parking lot.

I've had some close calls with the Rangers checking permits (and parking passes)- so if Freddie's there- move quick to the car and haul ass out of there. It also helps if you don't look you've been in *overnight*- put your thermarest inside your pack and say you were up at Snowcreek Wall. [laf]

quote:

Originally posted by Greg W:

Tell the ranger you are with the Mountaineers and he will understand why you have a huge pack for a day trip to SCW. "A Thermarest is the 11th Essential, I swear!"
[laf][laf]

That would mean that there had to be at least six of you together though...

And I thought the thermarest was the 12th essential, right after the REI insulated altte mug.

Hmmm, interesting. So does Larry the Tool hang out at the Snow Creek TH all day waiting to bust some ass so he can meet his quotas? Maybe I'll take a whole backpack full of snafflehounds w/ me so that I can have them attack me at any moment. They would probably double for bivi gear, too.

O.K. Here is the deal, guys. Just got off the phone with a USFS operator (wanted to speak with a real ranger but was told that they're all gone) out of the Leavenworth office inquiring why in the world I have to pay for back-country and parking permits to access my own property. I was told to contact my congressman. Dennis

quote:

Originally posted by texplorer:

So when Larry "the tool" comes up and asks for your permit that's when you pull out your .45 mag and say, "I got your permit right here." Try it and see what happens.

Offer a bribe - some horsecock, maybe. Or: "Hey Ranger if you go away I won't take these stinky boots off...."