Mark Twight in PDX

iain

quote:

Originally posted by The Anti-Twight:

I'm sure the slides

are great, it would just be better if it were silent,

or someone else did the talking.

[sleep]

Sounds like this is the same slide show I saw last nov. It was the first time I had seen Twight speak and was looking forward to the entertainment. To my surpise, the actual slideshow only voiced the opinions of henry rollins and a few other musicians. The rest of the presentation was story hour as he read excerpts from his book.

I was glad to finally see one of his presentations. Yes, the slides were great. But It didnt meet the hype people brought on. And now I dont have to buy the book, because he read it all!

Having Backes in the house (little did I know he practically lives in my backyard) and hearing him introduce twight was one of the hightlights for me.

I say go...if ya like it, GREAT! If you dont...then ya have one more thing to bitch about! [Wink]

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Twight knows what is going on the alpine world. If you bought his book and dont know how to comprehend then sorry. I dont think I used his book. I found things out on my own. On the other hand that foo has climbed some sick shit and lives to tell about it.

quote:

Originally posted by icegirl:

And, yes, He has climbed a few things in the PNW, I believe the North Face of Colonial Peak "Watusi Rodeo" route has his name on it...

Yeah, but I gotta spray about that. As quoted in Nelson's book, he totally boged his music reference, Guadalcanal Diary is from Athens, GA not Austin, TX and the album was "Walking in the Shadow of the Big Man" not whatever was reported in the book. Maybe it was Jim Nelson's mistake, but its one of those details that bugs those in the know, like when Hollywood Movie Climbers defy the laws of physics....

Me, I'm a proponent of the new Slow Alpinism . Twight has poisoned the sport with all this emphasis on car-to-car-in-45-minutes bullshit that is sweeping the alpine world. Christ, if I wanted to do that kind of stuff I might as well be a jogger. Heaven forbid I should spend the night out in a nice place, have any time to idle about, or spend any time in the mountains thats not.... productive. Sheesh, how 90's.

Saw a slide show of Twight's a few years ago,had to leave in the middle when he started showing pic's of flowers ,people, dung and playing out there music( and I listen to some out there shit)it was too much for me .

His punk attitude toward alpine accents ( talking death and doom,sleeping in till noon and go for it)does not seem to go with alpine climbing as I know it.

I would not tie in with him or go to another one of his slide shows.

Alex was the man and had the best pic's and was cool to hang with.

quote:

Originally posted by Paul detrick:

Yes Alex was the man. I've never heard anyone on here say bad shit about him.

WTF does that have to do with anything no one here has slagged Greta Garbo yet either but it doesn't mean she was a saint!!! I bet Trask's momma could tell you stories about her, Garbo and Groucho having a threeway.... in a dumpster...while drunk on Lysol...

quote:

Originally posted by Winter:

quote:

Originally posted by Roger:

technically, portland int'l airport, but for some reason it has become shorthand for the whole city... which is kind of weird if you think about it. I mean, nobody calls Los Angeles "LAX". Wait, what came first, seatac the airport or seatac the town?

weird and quircky is what this city is all about. take that away and all ya got is Pittsburgh in the cascades without the Steelers.

If you move away from LA does that make you formerly of LAX or for short, Ex-Lax?

[Moon]

Here's the scoop on the Twight show. I know it's a tad cheezy, but come on out and support us PMR folks:

-

Climb Max, Portland Mountain Rescue and the Mazamas invite you to share an evening with . . .

Mark Twight

"Alpine Climbing and the Czech Direct"

Mark Twight is one of American's leading alpinists. He was the first and fastest to solo the "Czech Route" on Peak Communism (10,000 feet up and down in 26 hours). He made the first ascent of "Deprivation" on Alaska's Mount Hunter (72 hours round trip), climbed five extreme difficult new routes in the French Alps, and made a non-stop 60 hour ascent of Mount McKinley's "Czech Direct".

This show is sponsored in part by Climb Max and the Mazamas. Please support your local climbing shop!

www.climbaxe.com <http://www.climbaxe.com/>

This show is a fundraiser for Portland Mountain Rescue www.pmru.org <http://www.pmru,org>

When - Monday, August 26, 2002

Where: Madison's Auditorium, 1109 SE Madison (cross street is 12th)

Times:

5:00 Beer garden opens

5:30 Doors open to dinner guests

6:00 Dinner served

7:00 Doors open for slide show guests

7:30 Slide show begins (approx. 90 min)

Price:

Dinner and slide show - $25.00 (price does not include drinks)

Slide show advance tickets - $5.00

Slide show tickets at the door - $7.00

Raffle - $2.00 per ticket or 3 for $5.00

Tickets for dinner and slide show available at Climb Max and the Mazamas

More info? Call Mazamas (503-227-2345) or Climb Max: (503-797-1991)

Maybe I'll make it up there Ian.

Oh, and another thing. Twight is the shit at what he does. If your into slow alpinism thats ok too. I guess everybody needs their own genre. Kind of like the trekies and the people who call riding around in go-karts on groomed grass a "sport"

quote:

Originally posted by The Anti-Twight:

I'd do it to help PMR and Climb Axe, but NEVER for

the Mazamas OR Mark Twight. Why don't you get a better

guest speaker, like Julia Childs.

[Razz]

Weh, weh, weh. Cry. Moan. Sob. Would you have your Mark Twight slide shows to write about if the Mazamas weren't around? The group introduces climbing to hundreds of people a year, promotes safety and education for climbers, teaches the best mountaineering first aid around, continually trains its leaders, takes leadership roles in local preservation and access issues... If you don't like clubs, don't join them. If you like to climb, stop your bitchin and climb.

Raingoat

I've no idea, I was just passing on information. I'm actually not sure who is in charge of the thing. I assume it is the Mazamas, who are generously donating proceeds to PMR, so you would need to get in contact with them. I'm all for your brew showing up there if I make it to the show. [big Drink]

quote:

Originally posted by Raingoat:

The group introduces climbing to hundreds of people a year, promotes safety and education for climbers, teaches the best mountaineering first aid around, continually trains its leaders, takes leadership roles in local preservation and access issues...

Raingoat

Its a good thing they teach the best mountaineering first aid around