Great recovery drink

Jedi

I have been trying to train and climb smarter. Reading little about nutrition, hydration and recovery. Without quoting a bunch out of someones book, I will just recommend a "good read".

"Optimal Muscle Recovery by Edmund Burke ($15).

IT has made a difference knowing what my body needs before during and after I do cardio. Drinking Accerades R4 recovery drink after my workout. Recent study will show that it reduces muscle damage by 83%. Good stuff but pricey compared to Gatorade.

Nutrition & hydration ARE the other half to training. Why would you want to waste your time training if you doing a lot of damge that is keeping you from getting in good shape? I know most of you probably know this but I have been hard headed (and too old school) about my cardio training. I have been noticing positive results and figured I would share.

Jedi

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used that Accelerade R4 quite a bit durring climbs and find it's best used immediatly after reaching your high camp to help with recovery for the next day. I've also had partners gag on the stuff and become nauseous after consumption so try it out while training.

Never heard of the drink you're using Jedi. I've had good results with 1/2 strength Cytomax. Makes the stuff affordable.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Cytomax

Cytomax nasty ass chit. I used it once and notice that some had leaked out of my water bottle and the caused the paint to peel.

Accelerade, now on sale at Supergo $7 for a large container.

I feel the optimum is to use Cytomax during the activity and an R4 system drink afterwards. R4 has protein:carb at 1:4, and substantial anti-oxidants. It's expensive, it does work. Carmichael (L. Armstrong's trainer) uses this system in his athletes.

Ed Burke died on the last year or so. Probably a different guy than you're thinking of, this Burke was only in his mid 50s, worked out of UC Boulder I believe.

The reason for the protein is twofold. First, the 1:4 protein to carb mix stimulates insulin response more than pure carbs. This means your muscles will replenish glycogen stores more rapidly and efficiently. Second, you need some protein for tissue repair.

Cytomax is good stuff, but to the best of my knowledge has no protein component. Read Burke's book, good stuff in there.

Never heard of the drink you're using Jedi. I've had good results with 1/2 strength Cytomax. Makes the stuff affordable.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Cytomax

Cytomax nasty ass chit. I used it once and notice that some had leaked out of my water bottle and the caused the paint to peel.

Accelerade, now on sale at Supergo $7 for a large container.

Where (and what) is supergo?

O yeah. R4 comes chocolate now. I don't like the taste of the Orange & fruit punch flavors but the chocolate is really good.

Accelerade now offers a gel (Accel-Gel). It tastes as good as GU but the Accel-Gel contains the same 4:1 carb to protein ratio Will is speaking of.

I us to look at the R4 as "drink it down cause its good for you". Glad to see the chocolate flavor. Check it out Bronco.

Jedi

Accelerade is actually the sports drink and Endurox is the recovery drink, both work incredibly well with one exception, at high outputs it makes a lot of people very nauseous. I've used Cytomax extensively and like the sweeter taste of it, and am trying out Gu2O which tastes exactly the same. The fruit punch initially tastes aweful, but it grows on you, plus it gives you great gas. There is a chocolate flavor? Gross!

Performance will match any price btw, and they own Supergo.

The only advice I've got here is to make sure you try all these drinks out before an important climb... not on the climb. I tried experimenting with allot of these protien drinks and found they made me feel like throwing up at any altitude/exertion level. Gatorade seems to be the only thing that sits well at any altitude for me. However, I know plenty of people that swear by the fancier stuff too w/o my reaction.

The reason for the protein is twofold. First, the 1:4 protein to carb mix stimulates insulin response more than pure carbs. This means your muscles will replenish glycogen stores more rapidly and efficiently. Second, you need some protein for tissue repair.

Cytomax is good stuff, but to the best of my knowledge has no protein component. Read Burke's book, good stuff in there.

I agree that the Burke book is worth the read. I was left with the impression that, while there are several things about his R4 drink that may have some importance to muscle recovery, the real key is the carb-to-protein ratio and taking it at the right time. Since I already take some other supplements (including antioxidants), I just made my own R4 by taking whatever other energy drinks I had laying around (Cytomax, Powerade, etc.), buying some powdered whey protein, and figuring out the correct mixing ratio to end up with 4:1. This isn't quite as easy as it sounds, since all of these carb drinks have different amounts of carb, and different brands of whey protein powders not only have different amounts of protein, but also contain carbs. But you only have to figure it out once for any combination of energy drink and protein powder. I've been using whey protein, but I'm sure soy or other sources would work just fine.

Just a thought for others who want to go the R4 route but want to try it on the cheap.

I've used Cytomax extensively and like the sweeter taste of it, and am trying out Gu2O which tastes exactly the same.

I like cytomax myself. I think the gu20 tastes a little weak...AND, if i throw it in a bottle of water and shake it , it never seems to mix very well.

Yeah, I stick to water while the heart rate is up. The Gu20 card drink is light enough that it does not bothe me. I rely on the gels for the carbs (and protein). Endurox R4 used as a recovery drink is used after the heart rate comes down and you are done for the day. I have not heard of any Accelerade carbo drink in choc but the R4 comes in it and is worth trying.

I actually start the day out with a protein meal/shake and 1 liter with 1 serving of GU20. Then gell'n the rest of the day.

It is worth tring at home as too much protein can be hard are some peep's tummys.

DonnV has a good idea that I have toyed with also. On a big trip, I go all out but around home, I have more the budget of the truely unemployed guy I am. I have a big tub of whey that is tastey.

Jedi