Ross Lake

eternalX

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks everyone. I must be going crazy because I went home and looked at my Selected Climbs... book and read up on Luna Peak and that's not it. Maybe i'm in the wrong range. I remember reading about a trip where you had to arrong water travel and pickup or else you couldn't get to the start. Am I smoking too much crak these days? I'll keep looking around.

Thanks again

Some of the climbs up near Lake Chelan are more easily done with the "lady of the lake" water taxi. You can do goode and logan that way, but I think you are way better off walking the extra miles and going in via highway 20.

Bonanza peak is probably easiest from Chelan too.

Some of the climbs up near Lake Chelan are more easily done with the "lady of the lake" water taxi. You can do goode and logan that way, but I think you are way better off walking the extra miles and going in via highway 20.

Bonanza peak is probably easiest from Chelan too.

It's not really extra mileage anymore josh. The Stehekin road now ends (at least for this summer) @ MP 10.3. This means about 6 miles to BRidge creek, and a few more to Park Creek. thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gif

stehekin1.jpg

Yeah, there are "plans" but it wont be happening this summer completely. I am actually neighbors with a state highways engineer who does work up there, and he says it's going to be a pretty big job. I believe there are still plans to pave the road from the current 4.5M point to about the 9M point, but part of the road-bed might need re-routing first. I wouldn't be surprised if the eventual decision is to end the road at BRidge Creek, or Park creek. After all, following the '95 flood they decided to let the road end at Glory Mtn. instead of Cottonwood. At the very least I hope that they make it bikeable for this summer, but as of now it sounds like parts of the old road bed are completely gone, and you are dependent on water levels and your personal comfort/skill navigating wet rocks and bankside terrain merely to pass certain sections.

Carwash%20Falls%20Damage-%202.jpg

• 3 months later...

It may be faster to get to it by boat from the north end than from the south, from the time you launch to the time you start hiking; however if you add in the extra time to drive to the north end from Seattle area its prob overall faster to come in from the south.

The boat cost is $50 one way for up to six + gear. You must hike the mile down from the parking lot to the lake where they pick you up. Approximately 40 min. boat trip up to Desolation/Little Beaver area. Much shorter to Big Beaver and maybe cheaper, I don't know. Balance that against the 10-15 miles or more of slog up lake plus extra food. A $$ vs. time thing. I've done the slog east and west side several times each. Next time it's the boat, probably later this month. The drive around to the north end is much longer and boat launch can be a pain if the lake is low. I do know that some people do the portage down to the launch site at the south end.

You're probably thinking of Bonanza. Very few climb it without taking the boat. Holden Village was evacuated last week or two ago. Don't know if it's open again. I would try to persuade you to do Goode and Logan from Hwy 20. Not much further to hike now, timing works much better, way cheaper, nice scenic trail.

Ross Lake to Big Beaver is your access to Luna and Fury; Challenger if you want. Some others you CAN get to from Canada if you want to drive around. So far I have not heard back from anyone about climbing Jack from Ross Lake. No trail to get up to the glacier I have heard about. Someone prove me wrong! Desolation TH is 13.5 miles by water from lake pickup at dock. Looks like you can get to Hozomeen TH from Canada or by boat or by hiking east side of lake but it's pretty far up there. I'm currently scoping sea kayak/climbing trips. Redoubt, Mox and Spickard are up there in the boonies too.