Beach climbing along Hwy 101?

Thinker

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do a search for humboldt county climbing. As I recall, there's a web site that details a fair amount of climbing in northern CA. I did it a while ago and don't remember where I stopped, but it was nice. That's how I found out about what places I did stop at. Also, there's an article in one of the mags that details the options. Probably 2-4 years ago.

Moonstone Beach has some good boulders and a nice, topropeable sandstone crag. On the north end of the beach, is a short, steep face with an ancient bolt ladder and a newer bolted sport route. Across the highway is a steep face with good trad and bolted routes on it.

Just north is Patrick's Point State Park with myriad possibilities: Wedding Rock has a number of climbs, including the classic Low Tide Crack on the west face of the first sea stack. Ceremony (?) Rock has a bolted route or two visible form the road as you drive toward Wedding Rock with a trail and stairs up the back for easy toproping. To the north and south of Wedding Rock along the water's edge are more faces that should have new development. There is another obscure route called California crack to the south that was an aid test piece into the 80's that probably goes free by now.

The Humboldt County climbs website is easily found via google. It provides some ideas for modern routes and bouldering scattered up and down the coast. There is a climbing shop to the south in Arcata (used to be called Adventures Edge) that can give you some good beta.

Have fun, it is a great place to play when the weather is good.