Hot Over Rocks

MountainBetty

Pacific Norhtwest Magazine / Cover Story.

Read it and weap climbers. Craig Welch, Seattle

Times reporter, thinks his keyboard yields the right of way into our world. Craig, do your homework. You don't know the difference between a drill and a crow bar. Jim Yoder can hardly be

described as a furnace with legs. Have you walked the Coulee? Slept there? Stayed awake at night worried for it's future access? Cleaned the debris from its guts? More than one climber loves this area, respects it, climbs it, and waits from Nov. to Feb. just to be there. Craig,

you need to get dirty, gripped, beat up, sweaty,

hungry, tired, challenged, and the try to move your bloody fingertips around your key board. Then your opinion might mean shit to us.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Betty,

Could you explain a bit more what was wrong with Craig Welch's article? (It ran a week ago, I think.) I read it and thought it was quite well written for a mainstream newspaper. It described the problems from several points of view in a way that the general public could understand. I'm not a Vantage regular, so I don't know the politics intimately. But your complaints don't shed much light on the situation.

One of the big problems is Osama Bill is mental and craves attention, good or bad , this is not the first climbing area he has stired up sh%#.Winter walk wall was all about Bills ego. To ignore Bill is like delivering a KO. Craig Welch just gave his ego a boost and climbers at the coulee more problems. Fighting amongst climbers should not be a topic of a seattle times article.

Craig is just a gaper [geek] and knows nothing of the locals or the coulee [Roll Eyes]

[ 06-29-2002, 06:53 AM: Message edited by: CAMAZONIA ]

1ST OF ALL anthonysmom, no one in oly cranks....a few people on the outside of town maybe.....

but in reading that article and reading what you all are putting up here. i say you all are none better then he.....least he puts his name out on the line and allows you all to call him names.

maybe you all should show your support for bolts at vantage by doing something good. i don't know what anymore, cause i don't go there cept in the winter. but i say for starters everyone shutting the hell up might be a place to begin. that includes mr robbins and all the others involved out there.

the way alot of the bolters and non-bolters go about this choss pile, i am suprised the f&g hasn't shut it down. it was and will be a hunting unit before climbers even thought about going there. so i say leasve it in a natural state. do not remove or place any new bolts at that choss pile.

i will not get into a debate on vantage.

quote:

Originally posted by anthonysmarocks:

Climbers Welcome. Gapers Go Away. Had the

column been titled,

Hey now I am a gaper!! Don't insult me or rule me out of the network here just because I am fat overweight and talk a lot of smack. I can surely hold down numerous pints of heavy and tell tales of climbing the tooth 100 times over. Wake up [Mad]

Lowell, I think I sounded like MountainBitch.

Not normally my style, but I was disappointed. I knew the article was coming out, I hoped it wouldn't depict climbers as a bunch of adrenaline junkies that rape the earth simply to feed their over inflated egos. I hoped it might address future and continued access to the area. I hoped it might mention the work done by so many. Leland Windham for his wonderful and worthy routes. Marlene Ford and Jim Yoder for their first ascents and guide book. Lucky, from the westside for his beta sheets and area maintenance.

Kevin Pogue for the time and effort spent to replace the stripped walls. Little Susie, for sharing her love and knowledge of climbing with so many new comers. Last but not least, thank God for the area. I love it, but not everyone has to. There is so much more to the area than just

the recent controversy. The overflow from the Gorge Ampitheatre has been rough on the area. Awhile back someone shared a poem written for the area, if you are lurking, could you refresh us.

That is what the Coulee is about.

quote:

Originally posted by MountainBetty:

"I hoped it might mention the work done by so many. Leland Windham for his wonderful and worthy routes. Lucky, from the westside for his beta sheets and area maintenance."

You mean Camazonia and Smoky McPot.

quote:

Originally posted by CAMAZONIA:

quote:

Originally posted by Bug:

I came to climb.

I bolted instead.

Now I am shit.

I came, I cranked on bolts, now I am wicked strong.
[Razz]

I sent 18 pitches while you dicked around on 4, and still had time to slam some brew
[big Drink]
Right on!

Originally posted by texplorer:

[QB]I came, I tore my lycra, my "partner" won't sleep with me anymore.

Climbers that climb it all sleep with Women.

I knew it, your a butt pirate [Moon] like all trad only climbers :confused:Whats up with dat?

[ 07-05-2002, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: richard noggin ]

Dennis it goes like this: Spay and yea shall be sprayed upon.

OL Tex is proably the one who is homophobic , that is why he made reference bolts and " partner"

So I saw a chance to turn his spray back on him and did ,it is what I richard noggin (DICK Head)

Do.

I just got tired of all the anti bolt spray ,and decided if I have to scroll tru it I would just spew it back.

In case you have not noticed the hard crack climbers in Washington and in the world also climb on bolts and the majority of climbers climb crack and sport.

I will be gone for the weekend ,Hope you will to [big Grin]

Ah Vantage,

The first time I went there in the early 80's we didn't have a guide. I remember getting out of the car and thinking why the hell would anyone want to climb in this hellhole. Since then I have been back a few times, but every time I get there I feel my will to live slipping away.

Face it Vantage is a great place to shoot a gun or get rid of an old junker, but it's a stupid place to climb. Yet some people get so worked up about it.

I mean what the fuck, did this Bill guy kill thousands of people? No he didn't, so what's up with this Osama Bill Roberts or calling the removal of hangers a, "cowardly act of terrorism?"

Bill Roberts is a loud mouth, but all of you that raise such a big stink about him are only promoting him.

I don't have a problem with clipping bolts, but the more there are in an climbing area the stupider the climbing area is.

CRACKS RULE! [big Drink]