[TR] Silver Peak- Northwest basin 5/16/2004

joker

Climb: Silver Peak-Northwest basin

Date of Climb: 5/16/2004

Trip Report:

The blue sucker holes that were growing over snoqualmie as we drove toward our intended destination of Ingalls suckered us to check out whether FR 9070 is clear up to WIndy Pass, and indeed it is! We drive right up to snow just shy of the pass, and were able to ski from the tailgate right up to the top of the NW ridge a little below the summit (the typical high point for skiing the north side) Sweet! We were feeling a little lazy and pressed for time anyhow, so it was nice to find a close-in, no-ski-carry-required tour. Two of us hoofed it most of the way to the summit, stopping at the last cool notch before the top where I noted that a week or two earlier would have potentially made for a nice ski from said notch, with perhaps a short rappel at the outset. We did two laps in the basin, enjoying firm and only somewhat grabby snow on the eastern edges by the trees (where all the short but steeper drops are). The thin ribbon of snow along the forested edge of the Ollalie clearcut is a bit of a christmas tree and fallen log maze, but it was still a fast ski back to the rear bumper. This one is about to be too melted out for a continuous ski, though.

Gear Notes:

Skis, skins, poles, boots. There was some debate on beacons, shovels, probes, but I won and we brought them.

Approach Notes:

Road clear to just a few hundred yards shy of Windy Pass, a few eroded stretches but I think the family sedan could still make it.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic