Rap'ing off a sling?

Brad_CA

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I m curious about the newer "lightweight slings" like the dyneema.

Is there a different fiber in them that makes them so much stronger? Is it more resistant to UV breakdown?

I would say less resistent to UV. Regardless, they don't take knots, well, and they are too expensive to use for that purpose.

but wait a sec

dark coloured materials will absorb more and reflect less UV than light coloured materials and therefore wil deteriorate FASTER

the_finger.gif all you "dark coloured slings are easier to check for damage" guys the_finger.gif yeah and you will have to replace them twice as often too!

I'm going to rub sunscreen into all my webbing and set up little parasols above every rap anchor I make. AMGA approved parasols, that is, with little cute AMGA rope/mtn logos on them.

I blame COBRA for boosting up the UV with that damn weather controllere.

I think there was an accident on Temple Ridge where it was thought that a rappel anchor sling failed just a couple of years ago. I don't remember if the sling broke or the knot came untied or what. That is the ONLY time I have ever heard of such a thing, though.

That was me. Partner went back two weeks later. He could not find sling. We do not know if sling broke, if sling came untied, or if it came off of the rock. But I do know this, it was two or three previous slings I rapped off of. They looked good. I pulled on the slings twice to make sure they were solid--and pulled on the rope once when it was through the slings in the direction of the rappel before my partner rapelled. My partner rapped safely off of the slings. Then it was my turn.....

What if the rope momentarily parted like those metal rings magicians use and then fused back together right after passing through the slings? You didn't happen to say "Abracadabra" or anything like that while rappelling did you?

hellno3d.gif

I think it would look different if it broke into little pieces...

from what i have heard no one has looked to see if the slung rock was still there only looked for the slings. catbirdseat's logic of "if it was not A it must be B" ignores the less likely but not ruled out possiblities C, D, E etc. this error in logic leads to the possibility of false conclusions and further accidents.

Chockstones can shift and let the slings slip past and look no different afterwards. If this had happened the rope would still be through the slings and they wouldn't have blown away by the helicopter. Since they were not found, this means they must have broken.

When I fell, the rope was everywhere. In a rush, my partner had to use the rope to do another rappel further down. No one was focusing on how the accident happened or looking for slings, just on what to do next. Did he coil the rope or just drag it to the next anchor? I can't remember as well as my partner, we were too focused on a rescue.

Another probable answer at the time was the rope breaking.....but since my partner had used the rope and brought the rope back home we knew the rope did not break.

If the sling was broken at the anchor, or if the sling was down 30 feet around where I was (becuase of an anchor shift) then either way it still would have blown away becuase of the downdraft of the helicopter.