Doug Geeting Aviation Screws Climbers

jobe

Okay, okay, looks like I'm the one getting screwed [smile]

Perhaps I should get a little patience, but it was rather annoying when you're excited to fly out and you find that everyone is leaving except for yourself. Sorry guys, looks like I was in the wrong on this one.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is Alasdair on this thread . I will weigh in on this . Doug is my man ! He put me and my team up in his house though we did not fly in with him.....

He will fly your ass in or out when NO OTHER TAXI will.

He is a brilliant musician who created an amazing memorial song to Mugs.

He is a business man struggling agaianst the Princess cruis monsters sending the little guy down the scuba /sewer slide. I will only give my $ to the local guy and he is about the only one left there

Here I am. Jobe, you suck. You seriously need to chill. I guess it is time to give up climbing in Alaska. What the hell do you do on your planned summit day when the weather is not good.

Several years ago I got off of Foraker as a storm was heading in. There was quite a few climbers sitting at base camp looking to get out. There was a bunch waiting for Doug, and a unknown number waiting for the other flight services. In the next 12 hours Doug flew multiple flights to get as many people off the mountain as possible. No gear, just people. The only people who got off the mountain that day were people who were flying with Doug. Everyone else spent 3 more days in a storm at KIA. Next time you are up in AK(If you dont die of a heart attack first). Take another flight service. No skin of Dougs back, no skin off yours.

Thanks for the entertainment dude. I dont think I have ever herd of anyone getting upset about waiting for 8 hours at KIA.

WOW, Doug Geeting an ass hole! I think not. YOU are the ass hole fuck up. I lived in Alaska for 20+ years and have flown with Doug as have my friends. We all have the utmost respect for this man and his company. I think you should take Doug's suggestion and give up any type of trad climbing. Stay with sport climbing as you seem to be of the gym mentality. Stay out of Alaska you don't fit in. If you had any fucking pluck you'd of sucked it up and enjoyed the experience. I've sat on that snowy runway waiting for Doug, too, but I found that there was plenty to do and enjoy. Sure you are tired of snow, want a meal and a beer or two, but there are a ton of international climbers there to talk with and learn something about differneces in climbing and ATTITUDE. [Moon]

Learn to read, sisu suomi. The complainer, jobe, never used the words "ass hole". He stated that he felt that he was treated like "crap". And from Geeting's sarcastic response, that's not implausible. "DG" should have ended his response letter after the fifth sentence, IMHO.

Caveat Emptor? Or, the customer is always right?

DG: "Do you have any idea where I make my money? It an't from climbers." It's from paying customers.

[ 07-01-2002, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: freeclimb9 ]

freeclimb9,

I think Jobe put his point out there. It's evident he thinks geeting is an ahole. Furthermore I get the impression that Jobe is in the hot seat here and needs some herb.

How do we really know what went down if we were not there anyway [Roll Eyes]

[ 07-01-2002, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Cpt.Caveman ]

Alright, I think Jobe has gotten the point and was man enough to admit that he overeacted. I'm sure he is sorry he brought, what he thought was an issue, up. He has been punished. Careful not to beat people up too bad for bringing issues to everyones attention.

Anyway, Jobe did you have fun on Denali? What route? Headed back in the future to try anything else?

Jedi

While perhaps I "suck," am a "lame-ass" and an "ass hole fuck up," those are pretty quick responses to someone who you only know through a response letter I recieved from Geeting. Per everyone elses messages, I can see Geeting is quite popular and other climbers have had great experiences with him. I've not.

As for the accusations of being impatient, those are probably a true to a degree. However, I'm probably far less impatient than the average person and if you met me you'd probably see I'm actually quite laid back. My hurry was only that I was excited for that "cheesburger and beer" and was surprised to find everyone else flying out except us. I never meant to say that 8 hours is some long time to wait - I ran into people who said they'd waited for days before - but in this instance it was far and away the longest anyone that day waited. I love the scenary too, but it didn't make me any less excited to leave.

Jedi, I climbed the West Buttress (this should welcome some more spray [smile] ) with hopes of climbing the upper West Rib. The weather wasn't too great so we left with just a whiteout summit from the butt. I'm only 18 so I've got plenty of years to return, and I'd like to try the full West Rib and hopefully Cassin Ridge sometime in the future.

p.s. I trad climb too.

Man, I wish I had started climbing at 18!!! I was not lucky enough to start that early. No clue until I was 25 and at 34 I am still as jazzed about it.

The Cassin............aahhhhhh.......the Cassin. I hope to find a partner willing to attempt in in a couple years. Maybe by then I will be worthy enough. The West Butt, I was an old fart at 28 when i climbed it. Great route to learn about Alaska. It might be a trade route but it still whips over 50% of the people who try it every year.

Jedi

Jobe, nice climb! No need to appologize for climbing the W. Butt!! It's a big mountain, regardless of route. I venture to guess that most people who bash the route have never been there.

Anyhow, I wish I began my Alaskan climbing at

18.............no telling where I'd be now. Keep up the effort and sometimes the learning curve is a bit tough - as you may have noticed.

so now we have heard all the stories about waiting for a flight, has anyone else ever been forced to fly out AHEAD of schedule? it's happened to me twice: one summer, we were very late season in little switzerland, paul (TAT) overflew us to tell us that the snow was getting way too soft to take off, that we had to fly out that afternoon or we would be walking out to talkeetna. kind of a bummer because the rock was in such good shape.

a few years later, we were in the coast range near waddington, and white saddle air called us to say that they had been comandeered to fight forest fires, and we could either fly our the next morning or wait for three weeks. (we only had about a week of food left...) this time, after 21 straight days of perfect weather, we were so wiped out that we were just as happy to go home early...

• 21 years later...

This thread is a gem. I flew with Doug 30 years ago on a climb up Denali with my dad. A highlight of my youth at 20 and more so because I had the privilege of going on the flight with Doug (my dad went with a second pilot). I had read the all the incredible efforts DG's operation had made over the years to get climbers on the mountain and bring them back to safety and proudly wore my oversized DG aviation t-shirt though college despite its lack of fashion. This last week a friend asked me about that trip and I went back to do some research and see how DG and his crew were. Although no longer a pilot, I discovered that DG went on to service many fine climbers and even douchebags like Jono over the years until his eyes failed him and he turned to music. I too have gone on to do many things in life but can say without hesitation that I owe my trip up Denali to Doug Geeting's operation. It was worth every moment of waiting to depart for the mountains and rest and reflection on the glacier ready to return.