Liberty Ridge Climber Injured

mothboy88

The rescue has been delayed yet again by inclement weather. The 2 climbing rangers who are heading towards them have encountered some pretty bad conditions and that haws slowed their progress significantly. Their new estimate of when they will reach Peter and Scott is around 2pm on Monday.

The Chinook that the OR Nat'l Guard sent to the rescue efforts tried to make a rescue once today but had to abort due to weather conditions. Nat'l weather service says it doesn't look likely that conditions will improve enough today to make another attempt by air.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How were the conditions up there when they started on Saturday? Looked real, real crappy from the reports and webcams I saw... Was it clear above 10k or something?

Hope the weather improves for them.....

-Fear

It was pretty messy up there on saturday. Raining a bit until 6500k or so. not too windy but you could not see from one marker to the next. Despite hearing it was clear but cold and windy at muir, we stopped at about 8200 because a novice climber was feeling ill. It cleared up about 8:30 pm sat night, But snowed about 2 inches that night. Clear skies from 7k up on sunday until about noon or 1pm, then clouds rolled up from the south east and it started to snow again. While we were up there (Muir snow field) at approx 9:30am sunday we saw a chinook helicopter circle paradise 3-4 times at an elevation of 9k or so (could damn near see the pilots face). There were a few avalanches on the Nisqually in the late morning/early afternoon on sunday but no sign of trouble otherwise. Thats why I am a little confused. How could the chopper not get there if the weather was clear all sunday morning from 7000-7500k up?? wind?

My prayers are with them. God speed to the rescue team.

Well the helicopter had to turn back this morning because of bad weather. They are saying that they are going under the assumption that they will not be able to reach Peter and Scott by helicopter. The forecast up on the mountain is not good for the next several days. The team of two are at 10,400 and will reach Peter and Scott around noon. At that point they will stabilize him and prepare to lower him down the mountain. They didn't say this, but knowing the terrain they will wait for the rest of the rescue party to arrive to lower him down the mountain, they will need them. My assumption is if the weather is not to severe they will begin lowering down the mountain late this afternoon, early evening. If the weather worsens then tomorow is when they will start lowering. There is suppose to be a press conference at noon.

Glad we had good weather when we did the route, even though there was a lot of freash snow on the route. Best wishes to everyone involved in this rescue. I’m glad to hear these two guys are prepared. It sounds like they are dealing with the situation as well as can be expected, only wish that in similar circumstances I perform as well as I’ve heard and read these two have.

I’ve attached a picture jdog took of me around 12.3K.

5a1a55af9f457_348376-023ssRoyonLibertyRidge.jpg.648229ab6ee27c88663333992029ce57.jpg

Edited by mr.radon

That was a gnarly looking cloud that just blew by....on their way to Madigen Hospital. Here's to Peter...let's hope he pulls through OK. bigdrink.gif And here is to the chopper pilot(s). bigdrink.gif And let's not forget the guys who climbed up there to help in the crappy weather bigdrink.gif ...here is one for Scott too. bigdrink.gif ....I think that covers it.

I just saw the footage of the chinook rescue on King 5 TV. The litter dangled from one end rather than being hung from a bridle. Is that normal procedure?
Ya, I sure hope that was just a sleeping bag whipping around that near the upper part of the litter...

Chinook helicopters have a small hole in the deck for hoisting so the vertical orientation is necessary. It also provides less surface area for the rotor wash to start spinning the package (though tag lines can be used to minimize this on a horizontal litter).