Liberty Ridge Climber Injured

mothboy88

Just saw on the news that a climber fell on Liberty Ridge, broke his arm, and took a hit to the head. Apparently he was with 1 partner. They tried to call in a rescue, but weather didn't permit helicopter use. They have to bivy tonight. A rescue team is approaching on foot. Apparently the injured climber is in and out of consciousness.

Plesae correct my info if I got anything wrong from the TV news.

Thoughts go out to the climbers and the rescue team tonight. Everbody take care.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From King5.com:

SEATTLE - Rescue efforts were under way to reach an injured climber on Mount Rainier Saturday.

The climber hit his head and broke some bones during a fall near Liberty Ridge Saturday morning at an elevation of 12,300 feet, on the way to the 14,410-foot summit. Fortunately, he was clipped in and caught by his rope.

His climbing partner contacted rescuers by cell phone and described him as “being in and out of consciousness, sometimes combative,” said Lee Taylor, spokesperson for the National Park Service. “This could indicate the possibility of a severe head injury. He also has a broken arm and some pain in his leg.”

The pair had supplies to get them through the night and the injured man's partner had managed to pitch a tent and boil water, Taylor said.

A group of rescuers was climbing up and expected to reach the climbers in the early morning Sunday.

The Whirlwind A-star helicopter was not able to launch due to unfavorable weather conditions Saturday.

Hang in there guys......

We're supposed to be on the same route next Sunday. Anybody have the local emergency phone # to call should something like that happen?

-Fear

911 same as the east coast. That is if you take a cell phone. I've never taken one; though they're so light now it really doesn't make much of a difference.

Just don't be one of them losers on the summit making a phone call..."hey guess where I am?" pitty.gif

I wonder how the weather is up there, I can't imagine it's a happy place right now. Sounds like he fell at the ice-cap step at the top.

Fuck. I really really hope he is ok. Good luck to the rescuers, it's gonna suck gettin up there tonight. The injured climber doesn't sound like he's doing well. I'm really worried about this one.

More from KING 5:

09:09 AM PDT on Sunday, May 16, 2004

SEATTLE - A second rescue team was on its way up Mount Rainier Sunday to save an injured climber and his partner who have been stuck on the mountain since Saturday.

The first two-person team left Saturday, but was stopped at about 1 a.m. due to whiteout conditions. The team hopes to reach the injured climber, 39-year-old Peter Cooley, by noon or 1 p.m. today. His climbing partner is Scott Richards, 42. Both men are from Cape Elizabeth, Maine.

The two men are more than 12,000 feet up the mountain along Liberty Ridge - one of the hardest spots to reach high on the mountain.

Whiteout conditions at and below the summit have grounded helicopters, leaving this rescue mission solely to the climbers on foot.

"I think time is of the essence, but I would also have to say there is no quick way to get somebody when they are 12,000 feet. When they are on such a highly technical route such as this one," said Lee Taylor, spokesperson for the National Park Service.

When Cooley fell his rope saved him, but he slammed into rock, breaking his arm and severely injuring his head.

"He's combative - if his friend tries to get him into a sleeping bag, he'll resist and he's also disoriented and can't really speak so all those things indicate a significant trauma to the head," Taylor said.

Richards contacted rescuers by cell phone. Sunday morning, he was able to relay that his friend's condition had not worsened. Rescue officials told KING 5 News that given the difficult location where the climbers are located, it could take as long as two days to get Cooley off the mountain.

The pair had supplies to get them through the night and the Richards had managed to pitch a tent and boil water, Taylor said.

The second team of five climbers is going to set up a base camp. Helicopters and more rescuers are standing by.

How were the conditions up there when they started on Saturday? Looked real, real crappy from the reports and webcams I saw... Was it clear above 10k or something?

Hope the weather improves for them.....

-Fear

They've had yet another delay in getting rescue climbers to the injured climber and his partner. It now looks like they won't meet up until early Monday morning at the earliest.

Fortunately, they (the injured climber and his partner) were prepared for overnighting and seem to have adequate supplies for now.

8p update (GOOD NEWS!)

A rescue helicopter launched after there was a slight break in the weather. The onboard crew saw the climbers on the side of the mountain. They saw their tent pitched.

Scott came out and waved at the helicopter

The helicopter dropped a couple of survival packs with supplies (sleeping bag, food, water, gatorade, radio so they can communicate with rescuers, etc).

The helicopter was not able to attempt a rescue so the plan is still for the ground crews to climb in and rescue them on Monday morning.

Not so good. The injured man will be very lucky to live.

I hope it's over soon one way or the other.

stfu mr doomsday.

Agreed. The poor guy might "just" have a bad concussion. Being hostile and difficult is a classic symptom but I'm far from an expert on that shit. Plus the fact that he is still alive after nearly 2 days is a good sign too that he'll make it til monday.

Good luck, guys.

I know Peter, the guy that is injured up there, and know that he is in top physical condition, so I am hoping for the best. His partner too has a ton of experience. I just don't like the sounds of Peter having a head injury that high up and rescue crews not being able to get to him. I hope everything works out for those guys. If anybody has any further info please let me know. I know a lot of people out in New England that are praying for them both and would like to know what is going on.

Paco and I followed their tracks into Glacier Basin on Saturday hoping to have a go at Curtis Ridge. Then the weather closed it, it was pretty miserable. Cold rain with the cloud ceiling between Glacier Basin and St. Elmo's pass.

I had guessed that the tracks were headed towards Lib Ridge. As we turned around I hoped that the party ahead of us was not stuck in the weather. Hopefully all will be ok.

The altitude of 12,300' puts them just at or slightly above the "Black Pyramid". If they're on top of the pyramid, it's a relativly protected bivy site. Still not a happy place to be tied down though. Sounds like they are doing a great job of keeping it together in tough conditions.