[TR] Mt Shuksan- Price Glacier Couloir 5/13/2004

skykilo

Climb: Mt Shuksan-Price Glacier Couloir

Date of Climb: 5/13/2004

Trip Report:

Ben Kaufman and I climbed and skied Price Glacier Couloir yesterday. It provides the easiest bergschrund bypass route for the Price Glacier.

We found a nice icy debris gully that made for easy climbing in the steep couloir next to Nooksack Tower. We found small amounts of powder on the glacier . Northeasterly exposures had a bit more slush wallowing after early sun and maybe wind deposits during the last storm.

When we skied around 1pm, we were quite pleased to find perfect conditions everywhere, ranging from shallow-enough-slush to corn to powder. No sideslipping necessary, and we were able to scope a nice route down the gut of the glacier that still allowed us to exit from the notch below Nooksack Tower. This was an amazing ski descent, better than I would have hoped.

Here is a route photo, the purple line is what I think Ben Manfredi and I skied last year after much study from every angle, and the red route is yesterday's pleasant romp.

PriceRoutes.jpg

Gear Notes:

Crampons, one tool, skis...

Approach Notes:

I don't know if there is a log to cross the river right now. We didn't look. Who would want to avoid a refreshing wade through ice cold water?

Edited by skykilo

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So,

I was very happy with the descent. But I wanted to ski it from the top of the North Shoulder. So I took Ross with me last Thursday and we hit the blue. I drew the Nooksack ski from April in green since I'm spraying graff all over the photo anyway.

We were gonna ski the pyramid, the whole thing in one fell swoop, but the weather looked like it was gonna turn sour from the top of the North Shoulder. Of course, after only a few sprinkles above Price Lake, it was clear as we hiked the Nooksack Cirque Trail back to the car. That's all right, it gives me a reason to drag Fat Boy and Cool Guy up there next year.

ShuksanRoutes.jpg

We were gonna ski the pyramid, the whole thing in one fell swoop, but the weather looked like it was gonna turn sour from the top of the North Shoulder. Of course, after only a few sprinkles above Price Lake, it was clear as we hiked the Nooksack Cirque Trail back to the car. That's all right, it gives me a reason to drag Fat Boy and Cool Guy up there next year.

Rawk on! When I go though, I want a yellow like. Can I. Can I. cool.gifsnaf.gif

• 4 weeks later...
How long do you think this ski route will last for? i'd like to climb shuksan and board down. it's got to be melting out, yea?

How good of a boarder are you? That's a commiting line. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some open cracks already. That glacier gets reeeally broken up later in the summer.