Looking for a Summit Pack

selkirk

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Exocet, and have used it for years. It is OK. My only real complaint is that it has only one ice axe loop, which is inconvenient when you have two ice tools (or two tools and a shovel, in winter). In my opinion, it is not really light enough to carry along in addition to your overnight pack, as a summit assault pack. But it is fine for day climbs and cragging. The buckle on the sternum strap tends to come loose, so you'll want to use tape or something to make sure it doesn't eventually fall off.

I've used the Lowe Alpine Attack Summit pack for the past few years and in my opinion it rockband.gifs! It weighs 1 lb w/o the foam pad, and something like 30L, 17.5 oz w/ the pad. It's basically just a sack with 1 ice axe loop (can be a pain there), but its real redeeming factor is that it has these wide foam-y shoulder straps. They make rock climbing in the pack extremely comfortable. The pack is a little pricey for a 'bag' ($50 at PMS), but it's been worth it for me. I've also seen this kind of shoulder strap on some little MEC summit packs that cost like $30 CDN.

My buddy has the MountainSmith Auspex which is basically a larger version of the MS Phantom. Good packs, very lightweight, but at 3300 cubic inches and with a frame sheet and single stay the Phantom is not really a "summit pack." I would call it a good alpine mountaiuneering pack for summer trips traveling light for a night or two.

If you want something smaller, take a look at Lowe Packs. they tend to make realy good smaller sumit type packs. They have a new one out that looks very cool.

Alpine Attack 20

Good luck.... wave.gif

Edited by Rodchester

me too.

I've only used it once or twice but it seemed to work OK. Adding a chest strap is definitely something I figured I had to do after one trip.

It's perfect for a summit pack since it's so damn light and folds up into nothing. It'll work for a dayclimb pack, but with its minimal accoutrements, you sacrifice a lot of bells and whistles that would be nice for those dayclimbs when you're not worried about 10 extra ounces.

And another. I added a chest strap to mine. Anybody have a good idea as to how to carry pickets with one?

That's the only drawback I've found with it. There isn't much scope for strapping stuff on the outside. The lid is also kind of small so it's hard to pack stuff under that too.

And another. I added a chest strap to mine. Anybody have a good idea as to how to carry pickets with one?

That's the only drawback I've found with it. There isn't much scope for strapping stuff on the outside. The lid is also kind of small so it's hard to pack stuff under that too.

I've got a Genie too, and I'm thinking I may have to do a little creative modification to add a few additional task-specific attachment points. But other than that, it's a pretty sweet little pack, and nearly weightless. Folds up into pretty much nothing.

I use the dakine poacher pack when I plan to ride off the summit. It's a little on the heavy and small side but I can fit every thing I need for a day trip. One of the best things is that it has an front acess panal so you don't have to take your board/gear off the pack to get inside. It has plenty of straps for gear also. It's a very comfortable pack too.

Dakine Poacher Pack

You could buy a Wild Things Andinista and use it for the approach (5000 c.i.) as well as the summit push (compresses to 1800 c.i. via zippers). Stripped down (no foam, etc.) it weighs less than 2 lbs (at least the older models).

I like the Lowe Alpine Attack Summit pack; it doubles as a sleeping bag stuff sack on the approach. The MEI one looks great also.

Genie!

I too added another axe loop and a chest strap. I also cut a thin layer of foam to insert into the water bladder holder to keep the cam stems out of my spine (i got seriously stabbed on yak pk).

I can solve your picket question easily...

put the picket inside the pack and have it poke out on the side of the lid. simple.

Umm, yeah, another vote for the Genie.

For picket(s), I used 3mm cord to rig an extra loop off the bottom of the daisy chain, then biner'd to the top of the lid.... not quite as sexy to quickdraw gunslinger style if you were in arrest, but workable (if you're gumby flexible like me 'spose)

used to use a genie then i switched to the arcteryx khamsin 30 (employee discount helped) and when my 30 was stolen i went with the 38 instead.... i still think the 30 is the best... if you take out the back panel it folds up as small as the genie, weighs a little bit more but is way, way more comfortable and carries much better.

i think it's discontinued though. RIP khamsin 30 cry.gif

I've overnight hiked with the Genie. laugh.gif

It's definetely lacks places to put stuff on the outside, but that's why it weighs 16 oz. rolleyes.gif

I have even figured a cool trick for carrying a pair of skis. I don't know if I can describe it, but maybe I will get around to taking a pic if anyone's interested.

• 2 months later...