Bike Commuting: tricks to eliminating the hassle?

Eerie

If I could make one suggestion that no-one else has mentioned... it'd be to buy some BEEFY wheels. I ride a road bike and I've already beat the crap out of my wheels. They're so far from true it's not even funny.

crossbike tires will help. a lot.

You can just buy a set and leave the cyclocross tires on them and leave your rolff vector pro $4,000,000 rims with your regualr road tires on them. That is what I have been doing... not the cheapest way to go, but neither is replacing them.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Continental Town and Country 2.125's - but they won't fit on a road bike. frown.gif I'd recommend getting an old POS bike. It's not the bike you ride, it's the rider. A thrift store Shwinn will get you to where you need to go just about as fast as a carbon fiber race wheeled superbike. And less chance of it getting jacked when it's locked up.

Are you talking about riding a fixed single speed? I was thinking about it.... just to get me stronger, but I thought better of it when I look at all the hills I hit up commuting. cantfocus.gif

fixed singlespeed. no brakes. all legs. either you got the power or you dont.

Are you talking about riding a fixed single speed? I was thinking about it.... just to get me stronger, but I thought better of it when I look at all the hills I hit up commuting. cantfocus.gif

fixed singlespeed. no brakes. all legs. either you got the power or you dont.

I DON'T! yellaf.gif

hills are one thing. i just dont have the balls to ride in traffic with that set up. hellno3d.gif

Few points -

I never tried, but don't like the idea of fixed gear in traffic. Scares the sh%t outta me in fact! That's why I suggested a BMX freewhell rig. laugh.gif

Tires - I used to ride the skinniest $20 Continental tires I could get, like 18mm. These did me fine up and down curbs, and the occasional flight of stairs. Pumped up to 100PSI they were zippy. Just replace them often.

None of these fat ass 2.whatever "hybrid tires." thumbs_down.gif Oh yeah, slicks work in the rain at that size too. More rubber on the road.

My bike was a cheap ass TREK road bike. I put straight bars on it, and MTB levers. Then I had a wheel built for the BMX freewheel, and clippless pedals. That was one of my favourite bikes ever. It later raod from here to Halifax (with gears again).

I don't understnad the Idea of using really bad tires or wheels for commuting. How is it different than normal riding? I commute ten miles each way on an ultegra-equipped road bike, with nice wheels, and I don't think they've been abused anymore than normal non-commute riding. (I am a fairweather commuter, if it's pouring, i'm driving)

My tires usually last a year or so of heavy commuting, this time of year about 120 mi/wk. I have good luck with armadillos, they have a strip of kevlar on the inside of the tire to help reduce flats, though they are a mother to get back on a thin rim. One of the things I would suggest is regularly checking your tires for glass shards. Those little buggers will work their way in and you can save yourself the hassel of a flat by picking them out once a week. No book suggestions.