Hand Jammies

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree they are aid (as I think tape is also); but I thought I'd still stir the pot: if sticky rubber on your hands is aid; why isn't sticky rubber on your feet aid? And why aren't people ranting about chalk? Chalk does much more environmental impact than hand jammies... eye sore anyone?

On positive aspect that I support: anyone using them in place of tape does cut down on waste. Reuse!

the cliche I am hoping to popularize is: "STFU n00bs I'll climb whatever I like in whatever style I please!!"

Seriously, these "tape is aid" pronouncements seem rather silly to me. Rock climbing is nothing more than a game, and to a certain extent we all make up our own rules. If you don't want to use them - don't. But if you belittle someone else who uses them because they are not something you want to carry around, well, you're commenting on yourself more than on that other person.

If you want to discuss a somewhat interesting idea, though, the question of "why is rubber on your hands considered aid when rubber on your feet is not" is a good one. Is the reason, perhaps, that all of us use rock shoes but almost nobody uses hand jammies?

Quicker to put on them making tape gloves. +

Reusable +

They are aid -

They make your hands bigger (much more so than tape), so they suck on a perfect hands width crack. -

On a crack just bigger than hands or fists, they give you a much better jamb, but that is aid. -

that Patagronkia ad picture of Stimson Bullitt on Illusion Dweller - are those handjammies he's wearing there?

I don't use them, or tape much, or even use chalk all that much ... but 'cause I am cheap not 'cause I am noble.

they make your hands bigger which can be un-lame (though i aint ever used em). there is a long tradition in climbing to put some padding on: paisano roof in suicide was first climbed by jonh long wearing taped up boxing gloves.

Lots of stories about that ascent. Actually it was welders gloves - as I heard it from Largo himself. But then again that may mean nothing from that story-teller.

In the supertopo guide for Red Rocks, there is a picture of George Urioste on Chuckwalla (I think) wearing hand jammies. I have considered buying a pair to replace tape, which I liberally use. I don't care what anyone else says, shoes are aid, cams are aid, the rope is aid, icetools are aid, crampons are aid, chalk is way-aid. I am infact an aid climber. I don't give a rats what you think is aid. I would like to hear from folks who have used the Jammies. I have never tried them on. Anyone know if a store in the Seattle Area carries these? Also the argument that they make your hands bigger is laim since peoples hands come in all shapes and sizes. For any given crack each individual finds the best jams they can depending on their hand size.

That picture rockband.gif

If I am leading 10b when I am 83, i am gonna tape my whole body to avoid injury.

Dude is pulling hard.

Tape is soo good, I climb for the feeling it evokes. I get a better feeling hand jamming with tape than when I don't have tape. I will tape when the opportunity requires it bigdrink.gif

I used Hand Jammies a few times when hand cracks were painful and perplexing to me. They helped immensely. Then I switched to tape, and now I sometimes use tape, sometimes don't. Basically they are training wheels...

Hand jammies and heel spurs... the end is near I tell you.

I predict the next "climbers" will be content just to see what the smallest hold is they can hang off of... Sharma will somehow hang from his left hand pinky off a quarter pad dimple set in a horizontal roof... I predict a new grading system... think about it... first came rock climbing to train for the mountains, then sport/gym climbing to train for rock climbing, now bouldering to train for sport climbing... the end is near...

what are these mountains you speak of?

Hand jammies and heel spurs... the end is near I tell you.

I predict the next "climbers" will be content just to see what the smallest hold is they can hang off of... Sharma will somehow hang from his left hand pinky off a quarter pad dimple set in a horizontal roof... I predict a new grading system... think about it... first came rock climbing to train for the mountains, then sport/gym climbing to train for rock climbing, now bouldering to train for sport climbing... the end is near...

what are these mountains you speak of?

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!