NF Temple by Slawinski this winter?

Alex

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also impressive (although not quite a winter ascent, but early April is still pretty wintry) was the House/Prezelj climb of the North Face of the North Twin. See the LTV thread, or http://www.climbing.com/news/ntwinagain/ Much more remote than Temple, and a much bigger route.

House dropped his outboot on Day 3 of 5, and so they had to walk out via the Columbia Icefields - 40KM or so. A friend of mine was in there the day after doing the ski route up the Twins and came across these crazy postholes, one-way, all the way from the summit to the parking lot! Not something you see everyday up there (I have been up skiing on that icefield too - friggin huge...I can't imagine the prospect of walking it in winter conditions - although I guess it would feel a little more secure than a 6000ft alpine face!).

• 2 weeks later...

There were several ascents of Temple NF routes this "winter" ( some ascents occurred after March 21). Slawinski and Firth climbed the Greenwood/Locke, Slawinski and Babanov climbed Sphinx Face, and Semple and Owens(?) did a 1-day ascent of one of those two routes shortly after. fruit.gif

Firth/Slawinski, Greenwook-Locke - first winter ascent.

Slawinski/Babanov, Robinson-Orvig / Sphinx face - second ascent & first winter ascent.

Semple/Walsh, Robinson-Orvig / Sphinx face - first one day ascent (in April but in winter conditions).

House/Prezelj, N face North Twin, independent line joining the Lowe-Jones for the upper half - third ascent of face (in April but in winter conditions).Full Report