BASE on Baffin Island

D-dog

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

? people have been base jumping baffin for like 20 years... thor got done in the 80s i do believe....

d-dog have you base jumped steins pillar?
[big Grin]

I am not sure that Mt. Thor was jumped that early, though yes Baffin has seen a number of BASE visitors. I believe that Will Oxx was one of the earliest to jump up there. Even so, there are many formations on Baffin that have never been climbed, let alone jumped. See:

http://www.leadingedgebase.com/about/le_baffin.htm

Check out The Fin. Still, to my knowledge, never jumped nor even climbed. Holy crap!

Not yet gotten off Stein's - I don't know anyone who has, but not 100% sure on this. This winter had pretty bad weather for jumping in central Oregon - more wind than usual, and unpredictable winds. I was up on Monkey Face at one point this spring, with only one rope, in the afternoon, everyone else had gone home.

A calm afternoon turned into a windy afternoon at about the exact minute we bid farewell to the last party rapping off, and rigged up. We waited several hours for the winds to calm, without much luck. Finally, running out of day, we waited for a momentary lapse and made the best of it. All worked out ok in the end - not even a scuffed knee on landing.

Wind is not your friend in BASE. Being under canopy is like being a piece of toilet paper in a gusty valley - you do have some control, but if the winds are strong (10+ mph) or erratic, you are basically at the mercy of random chance. Not good when dealing with bad landing areas, trees, whitewater, etc.

Peace,

D-d0g

quote:

Originally posted by D-dog:

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

? people have been base jumping baffin for like 20 years... thor got done in the 80s i do believe....

d-dog have you base jumped steins pillar?
[big Grin]

I am not sure that Mt. Thor was jumped that early, though yes Baffin has seen a number of BASE visitors. I believe that Will Oxx was one of the earliest to jump up there. Even so, there are many formations on Baffin that have never been climbed, let alone jumped. See:

Check out The Fin. Still, to my knowledge, never jumped nor even climbed. Holy crap!

Not yet gotten off Stein's - I don't know anyone who has, but not 100% sure on this. This winter had pretty bad weather for jumping in central Oregon - more wind than usual, and unpredictable winds. I was up on Monkey Face at one point this spring, with only one rope, in the afternoon, everyone else had gone home.

A calm afternoon turned into a windy afternoon at about the exact minute we bid farewell to the last party rapping off, and rigged up. We waited several hours for the winds to calm, without much luck. Finally, running out of day, we waited for a momentary lapse and made the best of it. All worked out ok in the end - not even a scuffed knee on landing.

Wind is not your friend in BASE. Being under canopy is like being a piece of toilet paper in a gusty valley - you do have some control, but if the winds are strong (10+ mph) or erratic, you are basically at the mercy of random chance. Not good when dealing with bad landing areas, trees, whitewater, etc.

Peace,

D-d0g

There are 2 or 3 routes on the Fin if i recall my info from AAJ, CAJ, Desnivel, Mountain Info etc. correctly.

west Face of Thor was definitely base jumped in mid 1980's prior to the first completed route on the face (Redfern et al) but after the 'worlds longest free hanging rappel' was made off it.

quote:

Originally posted by climberted:

Dru,

Where can I find the CAJ, Desnivel, Mountain Info, stuff. I have the AAJ and want some more info on some projects I looking at.

Thanx

There are these places called libraries. Quite often they can answer your questions. From the comfort of your own home, a search engine works quite well.

The American Alpine club has quite a good library that will do research for you(if you pay the fee) or send you books(if your a member)

www.americanalpineclub.org - click on resources.

For the Canadian Alpine Journal (commonly abreviated CAJ)

http://www.alpineclubofcanada.ca/publications/caj.html

Desnivel.com is a compendium of expedition briefings results/etc.

[ 06-25-2002, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: cj001f ]

Mountain Info is found in the back pages of the British mag High Mountain Sports. The latest issue is doing a 2 parter Baffin Island roundup I think. Its nice, cause when they do a feature, they usually showyou a picture with all known lines drawn in, unlike AAJ that doesnt even mention other lines already climbed half the time.

D-Dog,

Thor (or was it Asgard???) was jumped in the 80's as part of "For Your Eyes Only" opening scene. Not sure who the jumper was, but I think it was Javier Bongard (sp?).

PS: Upper Town Wall has been opened. 350 usable alt. Mostly go and throw but we think you might be able to take 2 seconds and still make the landing. The evening winds tend to die at about 8 PM, and the train runs prety regular at about 7 PM and 9 PM. good to know because the tracks are the landing area. exit point is where the "Town Crier" route tops out. you can drive most of the way to the top, with about a 20 minute flat hike in. There is a ledge to jumpers right, so a 90 off to the right could hurt, gotta get on those rear risers fast...

Blue Skies

[ 06-27-2002, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: Tommy ]

quote:

Originally posted by Tommy:

Thor (or was it Asgard???) was jumped in the 80's as part of "For Your Eyes Only" opening scene. Not sure who the jumper was, but I think it was Javier Bongard (sp?).

Hmmm, was that the one with the ski jump to start it? I thought that was Rick Sylvester, though I could be thinking of some other Bond flick, they tend to blur together...

Also, re Libraries, do the Mountaineers still have a library in Seattle? That was a pretty good collection but I haven't been there in years. The public library in Banff had a good special collection too.

quote:

Originally posted by Off White:

quote:

Originally posted by Tommy:

Hmmm, was that the one with the ski jump to start it? I thought that was Rick Sylvester, though I could be thinking of some other Bond flick, they tend to blur together...

Also, re Libraries, do the Mountaineers still have a library in Seattle? That was a pretty good collection but I haven't been there in years. The public library in Banff had a good special collection too.

Its "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" and its Rick Sylvester ski-launching into a BASE jump, and it's Asgard, 1974ish. Im 100% sure on everything but the date.