Heat Exchanger

EV

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

try antigravitygear.com the pot coozie works great so far though I haven't had the chance to use it too extensively yet because most of the food I pack is super low maintence ie by the time the water is hot its cooked. Maybe not exactly what your looking for but a good alternative. Got a backpacker award and really cheap. You can even make your own.

I use this thing - a cloth/foil cover for the stove. It traps the heat much better than the heat exchanger, and is a hell of a lot lighter.

my 0.02

Got to be careful with those. If there's not enough oxygen getting to the flame then it won't burn as hot, efficiently, or clean. And definitely make sure the fuel bottle/compartment is never entrapped in such a closed space. It could result in an explosion from built up heat.

I have the MSR heat exchanger and yes, it is bulky. I'll bring it when I have to melt a lot of snow for water, usually only if I'm spending more than one night out. You need to save more weight in fuel to justify the weight of the exchanger. If it saves a second fuel bottle, then it is worth it.

Lemme see, an extra 160g of weight, just to save "up to 25%" on fuel efficiency (from MSR web page). When MSR claims "up to 25%", they probably mean under ideal conditions. In the real world it is probably quite a bit less. In terms of fuel, 160g of white gas is about 6.7 fluid ounces of volume. Assuming 20% efficiency gain from the heat exchanger (this is generous), you'd have to burn 33 fluid ounces worth of white gas, in order to save an amount of white gas equal to the weight of the heat exchanger. Since 33 ounces is enough fuel to melt snow for two climbers for a 4 day trip, it only seems worth it if you are going on a trip longer than 4 days (and you need to be melting snow all four of those days). Even at break-even, I'd favor just bringing more fuel because the heat exchanger is bulkier and (unlike fuel which you burn up) has to be carried out. I dunno, maybe it would be useful for long trips in the winter...

Edited by Stephen_Ramsey

• 2 weeks later...
I use that pot parka. Hardly weighs anything and is compressible so it doesn't take up any space. I think it is more efficient than the heat exchanger. the one thing I don't like is taking it on and off to check the water.

a tea cozy? yelrotflmao.gif

hey. thats a good idea. confused.gifblush.gif

I have a Primus Alpine Power Cook (14,500 BTU). Yeah I know it is not the best, esp for cold, but I used it last weekend on the muir snowfield and it workded great with the primus power gas (isobutane, butane, propane mix). The thing I like is that it has a huge surface area for pots. I am using the hard anodized double boiler from GSI. So there is about 2 inches of extra space all around the pot when it is on the stove. I bought the MSR heavy foil windscreen, taped it into a circle bigger than the pot but smaller than the stove arms. Then I cut 4 slits (one for each arm) in the circle about 2-3 inches deep. This allows me to set the windscreen securely on the stove. It worked awesome as a wind screen and also acted like a heat exchanger, It also diverted just enough heat down to keep the fuel canister from freezing. I was boiling 2-3x faster than my buddy that had a MSR pocket rocket. The bst part is that it folds flat, weighs nothing, and is the size of a cd case. I use the extra round piece to block the wind completely on one side if needed. But I am going to rig it so that it fits on the supports and sits closer to the burner for a better screen in really windy conditions.

Patent pending!! Patent Pending!!!! yelrotflmao.gif

Edited by K_Y_L_E

• 2 weeks later...

so I just tried out my pot coozie on some pasta that usually take about 15-20min to cook this weekend. I ended up bullshitting for too long and at about 25 to 30 min ended up eating mush. This thing is a great investment to save fuel without a doubt. Using an alchol stove combined with this and and light pot saves major weight if you dont have to melt snow. Anyone with a backpack should have one. The guy even costomizes not to mention he give all profits to his boyscouts.