Bad freshie etiquette!!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The funniest part is it was only about 8 inches of powder over rain crust, so no reason to poach my skin track. Not that it matters, but I thought it made a great photo!

I was actually a little worried... the wind was dumping a LOT of snow over onto the headwall all morning. I was really tempted to go for everybody's favorite line (or so I gather) on the descent but I was worried about wind deposition. This is all I managed to set off Geek_em8.gif:

343231-SluffTurns.jpg

343231-SluffTurns.jpg.69a3dec352cef470611f7ef403320f0e.jpg

Edited by ashw_justin

It's bad because I am breaking a skin track that makes travel much easier for other skiers. If it gets walked in, it generally negates that benefit, and once the track gets steep, the skins wont grip because there are friggin postholes. It really blows. And it turns out that there were several other skiers a ways behind me that day, who did end up using my track. Of course in powder it's not such a big deal, but in typical spring snow, where skis stay on top of crusts and hikers destroy the track, it sucks. It is generally expected that bootpackers make a bootpack, and skiers make a skin track, and that they stay separate.

It sucks in powder too, particularly on steep sidehill traverses where the nice bench you've packed out gets broken and slides down the hill, leaving you with a sliding ankle-breaker in place of that nice highway you worked for.